Site Problems

Bob The Nob© 00:33 24 Feb 07

So, is the site 100% fixed or is it still being flaky?

We've all had some probs lately and I would like to know, is it fixed and why did it go wrong?

Lots of merry love
Bob

Kev.Ifty 00:36 24 Feb 07

The only problems I'm having is with my 'upgraded' Orange BB. lol

Bob The Nob© 00:38 24 Feb 07

I couldn't get on at all this morning/afternoon. Every other site was available but PCA.

Forum Editor 00:47 24 Feb 07

Yep.

"is it still being flaky?"

Possibly, all sites like this sometimes have problems.

"is it fixed"

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave earlier.

"why did it go wrong?"

Because it's a complex chunk of code, running on a complex web-server, with a massive back-end database. This site isn't like a 'normal' web site, the pages don't already exist, sitting in a folder waiting for your browser to load them.

The server receives thousands of page requests a day, and it generates the whole page for each request on the fly - when you click on a thread link the server has to go to the databases, retrieve all the posts in the thread, put them into a code template and create the page, specially for you. Imagine a few thousand people on the site at any one time, all doing the same thing, clicking from this page to that page, and you'll understand how complicated it all is.

From time to time something says 'that's it, I've had it with all this, I'm not going to do it any more' and the site gently collapses. Someone has to rush in and nurse it back online again, and we don't have a permanent staff on 24 hour stand-by. Not until you all pay us £10 a year to access the site. We think it's better not to ask you to do that, and to put up with the occasional glitch.

p;3 10:40 24 Feb 07

nicely put:))

and , at that rate of useage it may be surprising it runs at all

it needs an occasional tea break ; so it gets one, with 'waitress'service provided by engineeers and code analysers

Jackcoms 12:00 24 Feb 07

"something says 'that's it, I've had it with all this, I'm not going to do it any more'"

Ah, ha, I'm with it now. The site's a female of the species. ;-)

Input Overload 12:10 24 Feb 07

And I thought it was because Jodie the no2 hamster wasn't well.

Forum Editor 12:21 24 Feb 07

Death wish this morning, then?

Amyfa 12:30 24 Feb 07

The site must be male including the hamsters, as everyone knows us females just keep going and never give up.

Jackcoms 12:33 24 Feb 07

"Death wish this morning, then?"

;-)))

Bob The Nob© 12:42 24 Feb 07

Thanks FE, HAHAHAHAHA Jackcoms!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now