Sir Patrick Moore. R.I.P.

Blackhat 13:08 PM 09 Dec 12

news link

An inspiration to many, including me.

Quite a character.

lotvic 13:17 PM 09 Dec 12

I was sad to learn that, I always enjoyed watching prog 'The Sky At Night' and thought him a great personality.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:24 PM 09 Dec 12

Certainly a character and a self taught man will be missed by many

spuds 13:49 PM 09 Dec 12

He probably knew his stars and planets, and was well respected in his field, but he could be a little cantankerous in later life.

A long story :o(

Al94 14:07 PM 09 Dec 12

Wasn't so well respected when he worked in the Armagh Planetarium and left the city in rather a hurry.

Pine Man 16:13 PM 09 Dec 12

'but he could be a little cantankerous in later life.'

...and some!

In dealings I had with him I found him to be a particularly nasty and obnoxious man.

Bing.alau 16:25 PM 09 Dec 12

I thought he was quite good on that instrument he played with the little hammers though.

CurlyWhirly 19:40 PM 09 Dec 12

Very sad news.

Mind you I had noticed in the last few episodes of the 'Sky at night' that he had not been presenting as much as recent years and other presenters were doing much of the talking probably because of his failing health.

Still he was a legend in my eyes.

Aitchbee 20:19 PM 09 Dec 12

Goodbye Patrick ... R.I.P. I'll miss you appearing on The Sky At Night. That's all Folks.

Aitchbee 21:04 PM 09 Dec 12

I don't know if Sir Patrick was ever on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, but his 'luxury item' probably would have been an orbitting Hubble Telescope or an all-weather xylophone, methinks ;o]

Forum Editor 10:31 AM 10 Dec 12

Patrick Moore was certainly a wonderful TV presenter, and a real expert in the field. Like a lot of very clever people he sometimes lost patience with those around him - he couldn't stand what he called 'ditherers', for instance, and that led to some people calling him 'unpleasant'. The majority of those who came into contact with him didn't feel that way however. I was once in the same room as him very briefly, in the course of my work, and found him fascinating and courteous.

He was an eccentric, and there aren't enough of those amongst us, now that we've set about eradicating eccentricity from our society.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know