Silly safety rule(s)

m800afc 06:17 09 Jan 08

Before a recent football match I went to the pub to stop some beer going stale. It was served in a plastic "glass". I was assured that this was for safety reasons and I couldn't have a glass. My companion asked for a bottle of beer. He was given a glass bottle and was asked if he required a glass. He said he didn't and we walked form the bar to see a large number of people drinking from glass bottles.
Hmmm, being hit by a bottle is safer then?

Quickbeam 08:12 09 Jan 08

The behavior of the few, dictates the drinking vessels for the many.

egapup 08:23 09 Jan 08

The landlord doesnt have to replace broken bottles.

DANZIG 10:08 09 Jan 08

I've had the same experience although the plastic 'glass' that I drank my foaming beverage from felt and looked so close to proper 'glass' as to make very little difference at all.

Its not like the old days when a plastic 'glass' was all floppy and thin making drinking a pint virtully impossible.

Quickbeam 10:22 09 Jan 08

Have you noticed how plastic seems to impart a plastic flavour into a drink...?

Bingalau 10:24 09 Jan 08

When my wife worked in Plymouth Argyle's football ground behind a bar, they served beer in plastic glasses. This was yonks ago at a match between England (just after winning the World Cup) and Ireland.
Anyway an irate Irishman, when he realised it was a cheap plastic glass, complained bitterly and said "Will ya look at that? Even a pig wouldn't drink outa that. Give us another one missus". or words to that effect.

babybell 10:31 09 Jan 08

Well down here in Bristol if you head into the town on a night out you actually get served drinks in plastic bottles as well as plastic glasses. It's a strange feeling to hold a plastic bottle of budweiser. Still if it limits the chances of some moron doing damage to your head with it then all the better!

laurie53 10:41 09 Jan 08

The reason is that it in the event of violence people are more likely to be "glassed" with a glass than with a bottle.

Don't ask me why, that's one for the psychiatrists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced