Signalling at Roundabouts

Onizuka 16:20 11 Mar 07

Picture the scene. You’re approaching a roundabout on a road wide enough for two lanes into the roundabout but there are no lane markings and the car in front is in the middle, so you have no idea if he is intending to take the first exit at nine o’clock, the second exit at twelve o’clock, or the third exit at three o’clock. As he gets close to the roundabout he indicates right so, as you are intending to go straight on and exit at twelve o’clock, you enter the roundabout beside him as there is ample room for both cars to go around it side by side. As you pass the first exit he cuts across your front and exits at twelve o’clock, still indicating right!
I’ve seen so many people do this that some of them must be reading this forum. If you are one of them, PLEASE, PLEASE explain why you signal right when you are going straight on.

MichelleC 16:36 11 Mar 07

That was one of the irritations I don't miss now I don't drive.

If you're going straight on across a 4 exit r/bout you don't indication until you're turning left to exit. So many people indicate incorrectly due to poor tutoring. (or laziness).

The Brigadier 16:59 11 Mar 07

Sadly on the roads there are those who can drive, those that think they can & those who cant drive.
What is worse is that you can take your test at 17 and after that never have to read The Highway Code again!

With my HGV licence i have to re-qualifiy every 5 years to keep my licence, if the EU think it's good enough for HGV's then why not for Car drivers!

But of course we know that would be a vote looser!!!!

Chris the Ancient 17:23 11 Mar 07

This is one of the favourite (?) problems that crops up when I'm training drivers (from learners up through to advanced).

My advice is to these trainees is that you can't believe what 80% of drivers are signalling (or not) at roundabouts. On that basis, never trust them, leave a sensible distance between you and them and just be pleasantly surprised if they actually do it correctly.

We all know that other people manage to do them wrong/badly, so why be surprised when they do. And, if one is totally honest, the current edition if The Highway Code does, in my opinion, allow you to make it all up as you go along. I far preferred the older editions when there were much firmer rules on which lanes to use and which signals to use. That is if anyone has bothered to look at the code! (Personally, my oldest copy of The Highway Code still has whip signals in it and it didn't even have 'shortest stopping distances' in it. It also cost one old penny. If I had a gripe over Highway Codes it would be on the lines that since they were introduced, 'shortest stopping distances' have not changed! Cars can stop a lot quicker these days.)

The debate on retesting car drivers will never go away because they will never do anything about it!

Kate B 17:25 11 Mar 07

I wish drivers would signal to pedestrians. I've many times found myself confronted with a car that's suddenly decided to turn into the road I'm crossing with no warning at all.

irishrapter 17:39 11 Mar 07

ITs not just the signaling that gets on my wick but its drivers that are not in the correct lane!

click here for the some info on roundabouts!

Chris the Ancient 17:41 11 Mar 07

If the driver has been trained _properly_, they should know that they should indicate every junction - regardless. Just because of the situation you have described.

If a learner driver did not use this method when taking the driving test these days, they would not pass their test.

Jackcoms 17:41 11 Mar 07

The most important rule to follow whilst driving is to assume that EVERY other driver is a raving lunatic who hasn't a clue what s/he is doing and will ALWAYS do the most stupid thing when you least expect it.

Chris the Ancient 17:43 11 Mar 07

An addendum...

The Highway Code states that drivers entering a minor road from a major road should give way to pedestrians crossing that minor road. It is also a favourite question in the Theory Test that all learners have to take.

Bingalau 17:58 11 Mar 07

Many cars don't even signal that they intend to leave the roundabout at the first exit. This neglect to do so often means that cars waiting to enter the roundabout at that point, are waiting longer than necessary too. They assume because there is no signal that the vehicle must be going straight on to another exit. I think it is quite easy to remember to signal that you are leaving the roundabout at the next available exit, even if you have just joined it. If you are taking the third exit (turning right) then signal your intention to do so before you get to the roundabout, get in the correct lane and then use your mirror to make sure no one has crept up on your near side, signal your intentions to go left just as you pass the previous exit (second). I don't know whether it is a legal requirement but the Highway Code used to say "Do not overtake whilst on a roundabout". I assume that means on either side of another vehicle? But with the proper use of mirrors and a quick look over the shoulder it should be easy to use roundabouts safely. If there is a car on your inside stopping you leaving at your exit. Then you can always go round again.

Monoux 18:19 11 Mar 07

Jackcoms-- You must have known my Dad I can recall him saying that to me when I learnt to drive 40 + years ago, and the advice is as good today as it was then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…