Sign of the times for XP

rdave13 10 Dec 11
Answered

The new drop-down menu here on the forums link shows Helproom then Windows 8..7..Vista etc. No mention of the XP workhorse that served so well for many years. Used to be the King of problems in Helproom...

That's progress I suppose but Win 7 is its true offspring, Vista, in my humble opinion, was dissapointing to say the least.

TopCat® 10 Dec 11

Win 7 is possibly going to be shortlived as they say Win 8 is just 'over the horizon.' Probably not for this dinosaur though but one never knows ! TC.

OTT_B 10 Dec 11

I hated the concept of Vista, but only because of the 'chat' about it. Owing to a very short lived mistake by Microsoft on their TechNet website, I managed to get Vista free of charge. What the hell, I thought, I might as well give it a try.

After using it for a few days I loved it. XP, really quite suddenly, felt antiquated. And it didn't crash anything like as often. W7 is a worthy replacement to Vista and again makes XP feel one step closer to the feel of a Commodore 64!

As for Windows 8? Unusually, I haven't downloaded any of the pre-release versions. The idea of Metro doesn't gel well with me, but then again, I may need have a 'Vista moment' when I do try it.

XP hit the spot in its time. Many corporate and home users won't shift away from it. But every dog has its day, and XPs day has been and gone.

lotvic 11 Dec 11

I quite liked my Commodore 64.... only got rid of it about a year ago when I cleared the loft out.

Autoschediastic 11 Dec 11

Ive got Xp Pro genuine disc ive not used in 5 years its just gathering dust, XP was the bizz but like with most hardware & software after 4/5 years its Extinct..XP served most people well, W7 however ive used since the days of RC/BETA & it was fantastic a breathe of fresh air in the terms of Operating Systems..BUT its getting like XP was in the form that the Billions of updates are making it laggy...

Quickbeam 11 Dec 11

I've just read the PCA email with this link in it Windows 8: One OS to Rule Them All? Has PCA towers now relocated to the depths of dark Mordor? Have some of us now got a mission in hand to rescue the staff from evil forces? All this to do, and the Great White Wizard has been missing since the re-launch. Is something sinister happening now that the snows of winter are with us to hide what's happening?

Quickbeam 11 Dec 11

...nothing like a good conspiracy theory for the imagination is there...

buteman 11 Dec 11

Normally the dropdown bar would show the most popular and well used parts of PCA first.

I can't believe that they are set in the most popular order.Obviously they are set in that order for a reason.

I did notice that they have been moved around recently

Maybe I should get out a bit more often.

johndrew 11 Dec 11

Autoschediastic

"Ive got Xp Pro genuine disc ive not used in 5 years its just gathering dust ..."

Do you want to sell it? If you do and the price is right, e-mail me via the envelope.

buteman 11 Dec 11

Yes e-mail me via the envelope as well and I will give you the W/8 version for it.

But it will need to be in the next 10 minutes.[ Just in case ]

ams4127 11 Dec 11
Answer

XPired!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message