Should we pull out of the eurovision Song Contest

rawprawn 17:49 31 Jan 11

click here I am no afficionado, but it does seem to me that we are not only wasting our time, but paying for the privelege.

jakimo 18:29 31 Jan 11

Back in the 50s Whitehall farces on TV were quite popular,now we just have the eurovision Song Contest Farce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 31 Jan 11

If all the countries that thought (knew) they hadn't a chance pulled out then there wouldn't be a Eurovision Song Contest

:0)

dagbladet 18:36 31 Jan 11

Why pull out? This programme is enjoyed by millions.

jakimo 18:42 31 Jan 11

Why pull out? This programme is enjoyed by millions... who's fingers total more than their IQ

Forum Editor 18:45 31 Jan 11

This programme is enjoyed by millions"

Exactly. The European viewing audience is huge - over 125 million, although the UK audience was not that great - 5.4 million in 2010.

Blackhat 18:48 31 Jan 11

As the winning country hosts the next year’s event at least we will be spared the cost of that for a good few years.

dagbladet 18:55 31 Jan 11

"Why pull out? This programme is enjoyed by millions... who's fingers total more than their IQ"

So what are you saying? There should just be high-brow stuff for those who are 'clever'. Bearing in mind that those of a certain intellect are aleays claiming they don't watch the "idiot box" anyway as there's always something far more interesting on Radio 4.

octal 19:14 31 Jan 11

I think you'll find that the BBC, or us the license paying public, are a major financial contributor to the Eurovision Song Contest. That's why the UK is in it every year, in spite of winning the nil poi contest yearly.

It does beg the question, are we getting value for money in our continued support? It must cost a lot of money to air this event and what do we get in return?

spuds 19:30 31 Jan 11

"Should we pull out of the eurovision Song Contest"

Have we ever been really in it?.

The last time I watched it, Sandy Shaw was the UK representative, I think!.

jakimo 19:37 31 Jan 11

'Since when is it necessary to have a high IQ to enjoy any programme'

If you think higher than 10 is high,then you confirm my theory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…