Should this man be released?

Legolas 19:13 06 Nov 08

Heard on the Scottish news tonight the latest installment in the attempt by the Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet Al-Megrahi to be released on compassionate grounds. He has advanced prostate cancer which has spread to other parts of his body and has not long to live.

So should he be released to spend his last few weeks with his family?

I would say on the "yes" side as we live in a humane and compassionate society he should be released.

I would say on the "no" side that he showed no compassion or humanity when he blew up Pan Am flight 103 in 19 killing 278 people.

I would find this question easier to answer if I really thought he was guilty but I am not sure at all of his guilt. I suspect he is a scapegoat in the whole affair.

What think you?

laurie53 19:44 06 Nov 08

Ignore whether you think he's guilty or not.

He's been convicted and sentenced. He does his time, unless every single one of the dead rises and offers forgiveness, or unless he wins his appeal.

birdface 19:51 06 Nov 08

He had no sympathy for any of his victims.Why should we show him any sympathy.

oresome 19:57 06 Nov 08

I would show compassion.

birdface 20:30 06 Nov 08

278 men women and children he killed.Where was his compassion when he planted the bomb knowing that they were all going to die.Everyone has a bit of compassion for others.But I for one would like to see him spend the rest of his life in prison where he deserves to be. Maybe someone from Lockerbie might come on and tell us what they think.

sunnystaines 20:44 06 Nov 08

no

csqwared 20:54 06 Nov 08

I think laurie53 has summed it up, scapegoat or not, he has been tried, found guilty and convicted so should serve out the sentence irrespective of health.

Legolas 20:55 06 Nov 08

Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora died in the bombing and who became a spokesman for the Lockerbie victims' families in the years following the tragedy, last week backed Al-Megrahi's provisional release.
"My personal feelings are that to force him to remain segregated from his family and his five children for the short remaining time that he may have before him would amount to exquisite torture," he told the BBC. click here

If one of the victims can show compassion should we?

Forum Editor 23:09 06 Nov 08

and I would like to think that in his position I would take the same view, but I'm not in his shoes, and therefore I don't know what my feelings would be.

Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi has consistently denied his guilt, and there is considerable doubt about the safety of his conviction. One of the UN observers at the original trial has called the conviction "a spectacular miscarriage of justice".

Megrahi has twice been granted leave to appeal against his conviction, and the second appeal is set down to be heard next year. His legal team has been agitating to have the date brought forward in view of their client's serious illness, but it seems that events may overtake them - he'll die before his appeal can be heard.

In view of all that I think I would take the view that justice isn't going to be further served by denying his family the comfort of looking after him (in Scotland) for the short time remaining to him. Whether the Scottish Court of Criminal Appeal feels the same way remains to be seen.

Condom 23:15 06 Nov 08

Difficult one to call. No matter what happens the people who make the final decision will be damned by one of the two camps. Maybe we might see how Christian and forgiving this country really is.

laurie53 23:57 06 Nov 08

Jim Swire is not a victim in the literal sense.

His daughter was.

This murderer is part of a Jihad against Christians.

Just how much forgiveness and compassion should Christians keep showing?

How much compassion and forgiveness would a Muslim regime show in similar circumstances?

A young girl (13) was recently stoned to death for being raped.

Where is there the compassion and forgiveness?

As ye sew, so shall ye reap. Words from the holy book known to us as the Old Testament, and to Islam as The Book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…