Should I talk to strangers?

Dan the Confused 01:27 09 Mar 05

In the 'old' days (all of 3 years ago) I would only ever speak to friends and family on a regular casual basis. This was in person, by phone or by letter.

Since going onto the Internet, I now spend more time talking to complete strangers using text.

It first started with Yahoo Messenger - I would spend hours on end talking to people all around the world, in real time, and it was great! After a few months the novelty wore off and now I don't use it at all (but probably will do).

These days, I continue to talk to strangers - but via this site; and will probably be read by countless others. It may be offering advice or giving an opinion about something, and perhaps the occasional (unfunny) quip.

I find talking to people on the Internet requires a different approach to other forms of communicating. For instance, if I make a statement of fact it can instantly be checked by anyone who reads it by using Google. This makes me much more careful in what I say, sometimes I will even check it using Google before I post just to make sure I'm right. Also, what does everyone who reads what I say think of it? What do they think about me?? Am I getting paranoid???

It's become such a daily routine posting on this site I'd forgotten what I was actually doing which, when you think about it, is rather odd compared to the way things used to be.

Anyway, just a thought.

Dragon Heart 03:41 09 Mar 05

At least if someone takes offence to a joke or comment they cant physically punch you in the face !

The problem I sometimes experience is people misreading your message and flying off at the deep end.

wiz-king 06:58 09 Mar 05

you may start here and before you know it be doing bits for a South African newspaper, I did, now I have to check that every morning to see if there is anything to answer -- and they are two hours ahead of us at the moment.

Dorsai 19:30 09 Mar 05

We all do, all the time...

In a shop we have never been in before, to the person behind the till, who we have never met before, to give but one example.

NIGEY 19:37 09 Mar 05

good point dorsai,can you imagine a world where we dont talk to strangers? i guess we would be classed as ignorant wouldnt we?

Buchan 35 19:58 09 Mar 05

An old adage states that we`re not strangers, just friends who haven`t yet met.

Dan the Confused 20:32 09 Mar 05

Thanks for the input. Agree with all the above points, but I did say 'on a regular casual basis' (ie, socially). I'm also making the point that whatever is said is listened to by perhaps thousands of others.

When we speak to people on this site we don't know what they look like, what their gender is, where they are, how old they are, or even what their name is. Ie, nothing about them whatsoever (unless they tell us, but we can only take their word for it). Even if another site hold details about them, how do we know it's true?

Get my gist?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:56 09 Mar 05

If I didn't I wouldn't have found my partner. I used to go on this interactive chat service click here

gudgulf 23:31 09 Mar 05

Some ot the members of this site reveal all....click here

Scroll down to the bottom of that link if you have a strong stomach!!!!!

PS Spikeychris will always accept new "models" click here

igk 13:22 10 Mar 05

Reminds me of the time about a year ago,my brother was getting legal advice from someone in the newsgroup "uk.legal" regarding divorce procedings only to find out after 6 weeks that the "knowledgable" person was a 12 year old!!!!
His father found the details on his pc and e-mailed a profuse apology!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…