Should I be "Afraid"?

The Mountaineer 09:53 22 Aug 09

What does everyone think of this: Two days ago I had a bit of a browse trying to find a better broadband deal than the one I have with Orange. I've never bundled stuff together such as broadband, phone calls etc but I clicked on Talk Talk to check their bundle as we currently have a phone deal with them.
I then moved on to BT, O2 and several more. Nothing arranged, just browsing.
Then, yesterday afternoon I get a call from Talk Talk asking "hello, we believe you may be looking for a new broadband deal, can we help you with ...."
I didnt really have my wits about me to ask the obvious questions of "how did you know ...." as I was watching the cricket, but it seems obvious really.
So, is my browsing being monitored now with marketing phone calls following up my searches? I don't think I like this!

jack 10:17 22 Aug 09

on what their customers are up to.
You have an account with them for telephone- So I guess it is not unreasonable for us/you to think they monitor the existing account holders activities for marketing opportunities.
But it makes you think doesn't it - just how far such snooping- if that is what it is- can be taken.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:09 22 Aug 09

You are being paranoid over nothing. See if they are offering you a better deal and get on with it. The Internet is an open, publicly accessible service, so unless you are a spook or crim you have no need to worry....just lay off the Pr0n if the wife has her beady eye on you.

G

The Mountaineer 12:30 22 Aug 09

Gandalf
The internet IS an open publicly accessible service for sure, but by the same token or process should I expect phone calls this morning from Natwest offering me a credit card,PC Advisor offering me a subscription deal, the AA offering me a holiday, Direct Line asking why I was checking my car insurance, Vodafone querying my account query etc etc.
I don't really understand the ins and outs of phorm but wasn't there a public outcry over it. This seems to be worse.
As far as paranoia is concerned my delusion would have to be permanent for that to be the case, and since my delusion is only temporary maybe I'm only schizophrenic.I must have a discussio with myself about it.

Forum Editor 12:58 22 Aug 09

whether we like it or not, is that the advent of the internet heralded the beginning of the end as far as total personal privacy was concerned.

We can all decry the partial loss of our privacy, and countless articles can offer solutions, but the simple, unalterable fact is that it's not a bit of good trying to lock the stable door any longer - the horse has bolted.

There will be privacy initiatives, and various governments around the world will trumpet their defence of their citizens' personal privacy, but it will largely be meaningless - technology, and the people who exploit it will see to that.

In his own inimitable way GANDALF <|:-)> has hit the nail on the head, as he often does; the thing to do is to cease worrying about how this company or that organisation found out about you and get on with your life. Take common-sense steps to safeguard your personal data, particularly when you're surfing in the outer reaches of the www nebula, and don't store confidential data anywhere near an internet-connected machine. Don't give anyone your personal contact details unless it's absolutely essential, or unless it is to a trusted source.

Clapton is God 12:59 22 Aug 09

"should I expect phone calls this morning from Natwest offering me a credit card,PC Advisor offering me a subscription deal, the AA offering me a holiday, Direct Line asking why I was checking my car insurance, Vodafone querying my account query"

No, not if you're sensible and have subscribed to the Telephone Preference Service.

On the other hand ....

The Mountaineer 13:18 22 Aug 09

Clapton is God ...
The telephone preference service works well, but not for companies you are a customer of, so, unless you tell all these companies never to call you, then they will. In most cases this does seem to work as I discovered recently with BT when I had 5 phone calls from them about the same thing in one week.Telling them on the phone to stop didn't work and it took a written complaint to sort it. Normally I don't mind a company like this phoning me to tell me about something new etc, I just found the fact that I'd browsed the TT site which triggered a phone call to be a bit intrusive.
Now, before anyone has a go about paranoia again I must say I'm in the camp of "surveillance" being ok if you've nothing to hide, but it did make me jump when I got the phone call. Has it happened to anyone else (a browsed page triggering a phone call), because until it does happen you can't know how YOU will feel.
Forum Editor, all good advice re common sense surfing etc which hopefully I do follow.

interzone55 14:05 22 Aug 09

Did you enter your phone number on the Talk Talk broadband page to check your line?

If so they will have your number on their server. As you are already a phone customer it's a no brainer for their pro-active sales force to call you and offer you a deal.

Last year I was checking my car insurance and checked to see what kind of deal my bank could offer. It wasn't terribly competitive so I went to Confused or whatever for a comparison.

About 5 minutes after I left the bank page they were on the phone and offered £50 less than their web-page...

Chegs ®™ 17:06 22 Aug 09

I signed up for a Sky TV/BB package,and thats where I started to get really annoyed with their tele-sales.I would receive a phonecall from Sky which always started with them asking how I was liking the TV programmes,did I have a few minutes spare for a customer survey,etc & was always from someone with such a heavy accent I struggled to understand them.Less than a minute after putting the phone back on the hook it would ring again from Sky,this time asking for my partner and then proceed with the same series of questions.One evening,we were called 5 times within an hour.I eventually blew up and told Sky to stick their TV/BB package and if I received one more tele-sales call I would be consulting a solicitor.The tele-sales calls stopped but I was still annoyed so cancelled the TV/BB package and peace returned. :)

Bingalau 17:36 22 Aug 09

I'm worried now after reading what the FE has said about not giving contact details to other than a trusted source. I gave mine to Brumas and Macscouse. Boy am I in a mess.

laurie53 19:05 22 Aug 09

I've had many phone calls purporting to be from Sky, asking me all sorts of things, many of which they would already know if they were really calling from Sky.

Careful and persistent questioning eventually elicits the admission that they are not from Sky at all.

I can't remember the last time, if ever, when I got a phone call from them.

Had a couple of e-mails, confirming delivery time, when I upgraded, but other than that they've left me alone.

I'm obviously luckier than some.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5