Should Children travel for free on London's buses?

Flak999 13:23 30 May 07

I ask this question in light of the findings published by TFL today, that youth crime on London's buses has risen by 55% since the introduction of free travel for minors.

Here is a short video clip from the BBC website illustrating this point. click here Unfortunately this has been one of the worst policy decisions that Ken Livingstone has made since becoming mayor. Very many Londoners are now to frightened to use the bus network especially in the early evening and at weekends because of the appalling behaviour of children who use the buses as a mobile youth club, spitting, swearing, fighting amongst themselves and other passengers, playing music from mobile phones at full volume and generally turning the whole journey into a nightmare.

Time to call time on free travel for kids?

What do you all think?

TalYasis 13:46 30 May 07

It a shame the clip needs Real Player.
I refuse to install that media player onto my pc's.

I might convert the format later.

Jackcoms 13:53 30 May 07

I think you've answered your own question.

"youth crime on London's buses has risen by 55% since the introduction of free travel for minors"

Clearly, these 'children' have abused the privilege of free travel - thus, the privilege should be withdrawn.

Flak999 13:56 30 May 07

If you open the link and select preferences in the top right hand corner you can select it to play in WMP!

TalYasis 14:08 30 May 07

Thanks Flak999 .

simonjary 14:14 30 May 07

Another consequence is that the buses are filled with schoolkids in the morning when adults are trying to get to work.

They often travel just a few stops, where once they would have walked.

This has two effects:

1) Adults have to wait for two or more buses in the busiest times, sometimes making them late for work.

2) Children get even less exercise than they do anyway. Why walk when the bus is free?

MichelleC 15:01 30 May 07

A bus from New Malden to Kingston stops outside a school where there are hundreds of kids streaming across the road and waiting at bus stop. Rear and front doors open and kids stream onto bus and overcrowd it. Driver has to turn off ignition till some kids get off. A wait of ten mins for these unruly brats. I felt like dragging head teacher out of school to restore order.

Do kids have a pass now?

At least the schools should educate the kids to behave better (yes I know their responsibility stops outside school but when it's affecting others to this degree...).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…