Should the Catholic Church be able to do this?

Kate B 19:10 23 Jan 07

click here

I think it's outrageous of the Catholic Church to threaten to close its adoption agencies over this. As is noted in the piece, the Lord Chancellor has said that we as a society do not discriminate against gays.

anskyber 19:17 23 Jan 07

I think it is a very good thing the Catholic Church intends to close its adoption agency in these circumstances.

I firmly believe that adoption should be on the grounds of the willingness of the adopter to bring the child up in a safe and caring environment. Such an environment should ensure the child is exposed to all religious thinking together with the agnostic and atheist alternatives.

I strongly object to childhood indoctrination by any faith so I am very happy with the Catholic promise.

Kate B 19:20 23 Jan 07

I hadn't thought of it like that, anskyber - that's excellent. In that case, I completely agree with you.

Bingalau 19:22 23 Jan 07

I may be old fashioned. I am not a Catholic, I am also not in the least bit religious, but I can understand how these heads of the Church feel in a way. The bible surely says somewhere that it is wrong. The whole world seems to have been taken over by the gay movement. They are everywhere. To me, just to see two bearded men kissing is absolutely disgusting. I would hate to see any child brought up in a household like that. What is the chance of them staying "straight"? (Next to none I would think). ..Bingalau..

lotvic 19:22 23 Jan 07

I wonder if the Pope thinks it is outrageous.....

Hmmmm.

The Brigadier 19:23 23 Jan 07

"be warned... we don't condone religious intolerance".
And Kate B you may have just stired up a hornets nest.
I'm out of this one!

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:23 23 Jan 07

I'm afraid that Catholicism (or more accurately the porkers that run The Catholic Church®) never has taken any notice of the plight of the human race, rather more concerned with material gain and political machinations except when the Pope kept his normally loquacious gob firmly shut during the Holocaust and during the multitude of *ahem* scandals with young boys. I have more chance of legging through the Pearly gates than that shower.

Amen

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:23 23 Jan 07

'The whole world seems to have been taken over by the gay movement. They are everywhere.'....see the blinkers are firmly on. How is living in Victorian times?

G

leo49 19:24 23 Jan 07

I think it's outrageous that homosexuals should be allowed to adopt children so I heartily applaud the Church in their stand.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:25 23 Jan 07

I think Bingalau has succeeded in alienating at least 10% of the members with his rather introverted and weird views.

ho hum.

G

Totally-braindead 19:26 23 Jan 07

Interesting thread Kate B.

I'm unsure of where I stand regarding this. I think its reasonable that the Catholic church who pays to run these organisations should have some say on who is a suitable adoptee.
Being the Catholic church its reasonable bearing in mind their religious beliefs that they consider same sex marriages as being unsuitable for adoption.
If they are forced by law to consider same sex couples as being the same as everyone else then I don't think its unreasonable that they would consider closing down their adoption agencies.
If you consider what has been said as a threat rather than saying that because of the church beliefs they cannot condone this action then that is unacceptable. They would be trying to blackmail the government.
But I have to ask are they doing that? Is it an attempt at blackmail or is it that because of the beliefs of the Catholic church regarding marriage and family that they consider this unacceptable.
Which is it? I don't know so cannot form an adequate opinion on it. I did see that what they did before with gay couples was recommend that they try other agencies and see nothing wrong with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…