Should answerphones be outlawed?

Graham. 16:24 17 May 08

I hate being charged for a call answered by one. I want to speak to a person, so I hang up.

I recently called a company, this machine said the operator was busy and cut me off.

Forum Editor 16:33 17 May 08

No, they can be very useful - I find my office answering machine is invaluable for out of hours callers.

If you don't like them, don't use them.

Belatucadrus 16:37 17 May 08

I want one that says.

"Your call is valuable to us, please hold the line until a householder becomes available"

Then plays some tinny muzak dirge, but only for cold callers from foreign parts.

Pamy 16:39 17 May 08

"If you don't like them, don't use them." How do you not do so when you phone a company that has one?

Pamy 16:41 17 May 08

Belatucadrus, that is just the type of message I have on mine.

Totally-braindead 16:42 17 May 08

You can't really not use them if you don't like them FE. I think the point that was being made is that when the answerphone picks up you have then been charged, regardless as to whether you leave a message or not. And not phoning certain people is not an option either.
You can't ban them but Graham I don't like them either.

tullie 16:48 17 May 08

Of course if you needed to leave a message it would be ok?

Graham. 16:58 17 May 08

You can easily divert your calls to your mobile.

Pamy 17:01 17 May 08

what mobile

bremner 17:03 17 May 08

I should be the case that if someone wants the use of an answering machine then they should be charged for the call.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 17 May 08

I hate it when people ring but don't leave a message!

If it was important enough to disturb me then it must be important enough to leave a message!

Why does the phone always ring just as I sit down for a meal?

Why does the wife always rush to answer it when we are doing something important even though we have an answering machine?

Why when I answer its for always for her and visa versa?

Why does no one leave a message when we are out?

Why have I got a bee in my bonnet about the phone?

Anyone know of a good holiday destination where there are no phones (land or mobile), no faxes, no computers basically no contact just peaceand quiet for a couple of weeks?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant