Should answerphones be outlawed?

Graham. 16:24 17 May 08

I hate being charged for a call answered by one. I want to speak to a person, so I hang up.

I recently called a company, this machine said the operator was busy and cut me off.

Forum Editor 16:33 17 May 08

No, they can be very useful - I find my office answering machine is invaluable for out of hours callers.

If you don't like them, don't use them.

Belatucadrus 16:37 17 May 08

I want one that says.

"Your call is valuable to us, please hold the line until a householder becomes available"

Then plays some tinny muzak dirge, but only for cold callers from foreign parts.

Pamy 16:39 17 May 08

"If you don't like them, don't use them." How do you not do so when you phone a company that has one?

Pamy 16:41 17 May 08

Belatucadrus, that is just the type of message I have on mine.

Totally-braindead 16:42 17 May 08

You can't really not use them if you don't like them FE. I think the point that was being made is that when the answerphone picks up you have then been charged, regardless as to whether you leave a message or not. And not phoning certain people is not an option either.
You can't ban them but Graham I don't like them either.

tullie 16:48 17 May 08

Of course if you needed to leave a message it would be ok?

Graham. 16:58 17 May 08

You can easily divert your calls to your mobile.

Pamy 17:01 17 May 08

what mobile

bremner 17:03 17 May 08

I should be the case that if someone wants the use of an answering machine then they should be charged for the call.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 17 May 08

I hate it when people ring but don't leave a message!

If it was important enough to disturb me then it must be important enough to leave a message!

Why does the phone always ring just as I sit down for a meal?

Why does the wife always rush to answer it when we are doing something important even though we have an answering machine?

Why when I answer its for always for her and visa versa?

Why does no one leave a message when we are out?

Why have I got a bee in my bonnet about the phone?

Anyone know of a good holiday destination where there are no phones (land or mobile), no faxes, no computers basically no contact just peaceand quiet for a couple of weeks?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…