Shorter attention spans online?

simonjary 16:21 06 Aug 10
Answered

Do you think the online world has shortened our attention spans?

click here

bluesbrother 16:27 06 Aug 10

I reckon it started with TV and advertising.
People seemed to get used to not having to concentrate.

Quickbeam 16:30 06 Aug 10

What was that you said?

morddwyd 20:00 06 Aug 10

Surely like all printed word, it depends on the context/content.

You expect large chunks of turgid prose it you look up something in Wikipediea, whereas threads and post on these forums tend to be, in the main, a bit snappier.

I've never used the "FOG Index" for on line work (do wordsmiths still use that, or has it been superseded?) but I don't think the results would be much different to hard copy.

jakimo 20:00 06 Aug 10

could be due to all those subliminal messages were getting from outer space

morddwyd 20:01 06 Aug 10

Sorry, didn't register the OP.

Do you use the FOG Index in your work Simon?

Pine Man 10:51 07 Aug 10

The Gunning fog index is a test designed to measure the readability of a sample of English writing.

Pineman100 15:09 07 Aug 10

I don't believe that the online world has shor....

..sorry - what was I saying?

karmgord 22:03 07 Aug 10

What was the question again?
;- )

Forum Editor 23:05 07 Aug 10

of shorter attention spans - it's just that we've become adept at rapidly filtering what we see, and moving on when we detect dross.

The internet is awash with inconsequential rubbish; anyone with a computer and an Internet connection can go online and write something, and tens of millions of us do it every day. We're doing it here, in this forum, 365 days a year.
Some of what's written is interesting and informative, but much of it - my utterances included - is pretty dull stuff. Millions of personal websites are of little interest to anyone except those who publish them, and in general the rest of us pass them by.

Our attention spans are probably as long as they've ever been, it's just that the Internet has taught us that unless we're selective we'll all drown in a vast ocean of words and images.

rdave13 00:04 08 Aug 10

Yawn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac