A short stay in Switzerland

anskyber 13:23 25 Jan 09

or Julie Walters in what I think could be a challenging portrayal of a real person and the issues of assisted death. click here I know we have discussed this endlessly before but for those who are interested here's a heads up.

DieSse 13:28 25 Jan 09

Looking forward to seeing how it treats the issues.

egapup 15:02 25 Jan 09

As if life aint depressing enough, i'll be giving it a miss.

Forum Editor 15:09 25 Jan 09

The subject matter is a difficult one, but it's the story of a real person's experience, and if the TV adaptation does it justice we're in for a moving and inspiring one and a half hours. Anything with Julie Walters is fine with me.

Forum Editor 18:42 25 Jan 09

It may be fine with me, but my wife tells me she'll find it a bit hard to take on a Sunday evening, so it's off the menu tonight - we'll record it for later in the week.

oresome 19:23 25 Jan 09

We've had exactly the same discussion with the same outcome!

laurie53 19:38 25 Jan 09

Agree with FE.

Anything with Julie Walters is normally worth a look.

Al94 22:37 25 Jan 09

Not the time or place for another discussion on this topic but a very powerful and moving portrayal, difficult to watch but a superb performance by Julie Walters who must be one of the most versatile actresses ever.

Forum Editor 22:53 25 Jan 09

and very moving it was. Not an easy subject to deal with in a TV film, but it was extremely well done, and Julie Walters gave a superb performance.

anskyber 00:38 26 Jan 09

.......Julie Walters portrayed the dilemma perfectly in her usual excellent style.

However much we philosophise about assisted death I thought it concentrated on the choice of the individual. After all who really has the right to decide, other than the individual and their life?

interzone55 09:11 26 Jan 09

I didn't watch this, but the subject matter is close to my heart.

A year after we married my wife became dangerously ill, mainly down to our GPs incompetence, but that's a subject for another day.

After 6 weeks in hospital I got together with my wife's parents and we made the decision to end her suffering if it came to it, and one night we nearly pulled the plug, but she was rushed into surgery and her life was saved by the removal of her colon.

I've always been of the opinion that we're far too squeamish about death in this country. We're OK putting a pet out of it's misery, but not our family, and the issue is entirely down to selfishness. We don't want to lose a family member, so we leave them suffering...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…