Shopping in La Rochelle, France

m800afc 06:08 16 Aug 08

I shall be visiting La Rochelle in October. On arrival at the airport, and collecting a car, I would like to go to the french equivalent of Tescos or Asda for some groceries. Could some kind soul advise me of the names of the french stores I should look for, and hopefully the general location in/near La Rochelle?

laurie53 07:54 16 Aug 08

Obviously exploring the local area and shops is not part of your travelling experience!

sunny staines 08:52 16 Aug 08

that town is a fantastic place to shop and walk round, the harbour is a nice place to stop for a coffee in the waterfront cafe's .

my favourite french town. Ignore the out of town parking we parked in the town centre ok.

Noels 09:24 16 Aug 08

Its years since I've been to La Rochelle but its great particularly if you like seafood restaurants.
The following are some of the French supermarkets. L'Eclerc, SuperU,Mamouth, Auchan, Cora plus the German Aldi and Lidl. Not all are in every town but they are usually well signposted but beware when it says five minutes in this direction it usually means at least ten minutes. Some of the smaller supermarkets close at mid-day. I wish I was going with you.
The cheapest petrol is also to be had at the supermarkets and is about the same price as the UK. We have recently returned from three weeks in Provence so are well up with their prices.
Regards
Noels

Noels 10:02 16 Aug 08

The major French supermarkets are always well stocked and the present prices about the same as the UK prices.
Fresh milk is always sold but not in the same isle as all the other milk products (flavoured milk drinks etc)It will be on a chilled shelf somewhere else. French bread baguettes don't keep well they go stale overnight but if you are self catering and you have a fridge with a freezer compartment you can cut them in half wrap them in plastic and freeze them. They soon thaw out in the morning.
I hope this helps and I'm not teaching my Granny to suck eggs.
Regards
Noels

Stuartli 15:10 16 Aug 08

Carrefour and Auchan are the two that I've always found to be well worth a visit - cheap fuel as well at some outlets.

Many UK residents visit the Carrefour at Calais which is very handy.

anchor 16:16 16 Aug 08

I am not familiar with La Rochelle, but know the French supermarkets very well, from touring the country over many years.

Most are good, but Carrefour are certainly among the best, being the largest supermarket chain in Europe. There is a branch in La Rochelle; see the map here:

click here

There is also a branch of LeClerc; directions here:

click here

By the way, fresh milk, (as we know it), seems to me impossible to buy. The French shops seem to only have UHT milk on sale. Hence it is not on the chiller shelves.

I wish you a very good trip.

m800afc 17:14 16 Aug 08

Thanks for the help, its very useful.
Regarding my "travelling experience", being diabetic I find tourist restaraunts seldom cater for my needs. If I wish my "touring experience" to continue to the end of the holiday, I will have to be careful what I eat, and buying a supply from the local supermarket always stands me in good stead.
La Rochelle is indeed a splendid place. I have been several times, but not recently. I used to stay in Vendee, for the whole of my vacs, while a student. It may be wishful thinking, but I would love to retire to Vendee, perhaps La Roche sur Yon. La Rochelle's property is a bit too expensive for me, I am a townie, and would perefer a town to a remote hamlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009