Shoe retailer Barratts Priceless goes into administration, putting 3,800 jobs at risk!

Autoschediastic 12:16 08 Dec 11

I only bought my shoes from them last week? what a shame all them people to be told at this time of year?

Autoschediastic 12:34 08 Dec 11

I couldnt post a link as the news was too new when i created the thread, now its here

Story here

spuds 12:45 08 Dec 11

A link might have helped, but as it is, the company have so far only gone into administration, which means the company might yet still survive.

Over the years, I have purchased two pair of shoes from Priceless, and both pairs failed after a short time due to the soles slitting.The uppers were still perfect. Checking on my rights with the local trading standards, we found that the Trading Standards officer was wearing a similar pair of shoes to that what I was asking about. His shoes soles were beginning to slit as well, at the same 'flexy' point to that of my complaint and concern!.

Fair dues to the local staff at Priceless, they did offer a refund or replacement without argument, after producing the purchase receipt.

Going back to Trading Standards, apparently there is no set rules regarding footwear, except perhaps proving that the items 'must be fit for purpose' and depending on purchase value. So I suppose buying on offer of £19.99 reduced to £9.99 will make a big difference?.

spuds 12:46 08 Dec 11

Ooops, slow in typing. Apology for requesting link :)

Chegs ®™ 13:50 08 Dec 11

the company have so far only gone into administration

From the linked story...

The previous administration of Barratts resulted in 220 of its 380 stores being closed.

So,I would imagine that this could mean further store closures resulting in job losses.Losing your job at any time of year is hard,but particularly hard just before christmas.There is also the uncertainty of Barratts employees job security thus making credit purchases a really tough decision,do they buy on credit & hope they've still got a job to enable repayment.

Chegs ®™ 13:51 08 Dec 11

the company have so far only gone into administration

From the linked story...

The previous administration of Barratts resulted in 220 of its 380 stores being closed.

So,I would imagine that this could mean further store closures resulting in job losses.Losing your job at any time of year is hard,but particularly hard just before christmas.There is also the uncertainty of Barratts employees job security thus making credit purchases a really tough decision,do they buy on credit & hope they've still got a job to enable repayment.

interzone55 14:14 08 Dec 11

This is the second time Barratts has had to resort to administration, which tells you that the company really hasn't got a hope of survival without some drastic changes in both management and trading practices.

There's a lot of low end shoe retailers around, and Deichmann in particular seem to be expanding at a fair rate, so the market is definitely there if you have the right product at the right price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…