Shock for dying man as thug goes free

jakimo 12:57 31 Oct 10

I expect that his dying of cancer is irrelevant in law,but was this thug not imprisoned because the attacked victim was mistaken for somebody else?

click here

Forum Editor 13:05 31 Oct 10

in this context.

The attack was an unprovoked one, and so all the more serious in legal terms, but without knowing the facts I suspect that the culprit's sentence reflects the fact that he pleaded guilty, may have expressed remorse, and possibly had no previous convictions for violence.

But that's all guesswork on my part.

sunnystaines 13:30 31 Oct 10

i have deal with offenders in the past and nearly all of them consider soft sentences like comm service,con discharge, suspended sentence,probation,supervision orders and restorative justice, etc as getting off as there is no proper punishment like prison or a heavy fine and a lot of then laugh and joke about.

its very frustrating that many of our judges and magistrates are so soft and out of touch with the victims of crime and how they have suffered.

sunnystaines 13:30 31 Oct 10

should read "dealt"

Forum Editor 13:43 31 Oct 10

"many of our judges and magistrates are so soft and out of touch with the victims of crime and how they have suffered."

We have a high court judge (now retired) in our family, and he is certainly not out of touch with the way victims of crime suffer. He says that when he was sitting he was probably more aware of the consequences of violent crime than the average person because he dealt with such things every day of his working life.

The same is true of magistrates - they see a constant stream of victims and offenders in their courts.

'Soft sentencing' isn't always as soft as it appears to be, and in any case, what do you want? If you want each violent offender locked up you had better be prepared to fork out increasingly large sums in taxes to pay for more prisons. We simply don't have the room for so many people.

There were 887,942 reported crimes of violence against the person in 2009. We currently have 85,000 people in prisons in England and Wales.

Do a simple sum and you'll realise one of the main reasons for not passing custodial sentences for many crimes of violence.

Kevscar1 14:11 31 Oct 10

Perhaps if they took away the clour tellies, computers and only gave them basics. Made prison a place to be afraid of going to. more people would not want to return to such a regime and would not reoffend.

The trouble with Judges and magistrates facing these sorts of crimes daily is they must inevitablty become desensitised to them and think whats the point. I have long beleived that there should be a minimum sentence for repeat violent offenders.

Forum Editor 15:18 31 Oct 10

of a criminal justice system."

As far as the system is concerned, maybe. The problem is that victims of crime are human beings, with all the frailties and irrationalities that human nature brings, and often what they want is revenge, pure and simple. They want the feeling that in their time of need society didn't desert them, didn't appear to trivialise their sense of anger at what has happened to them.

In that context often only one thing helps with the pain, and that's the knowledge that the person who beat you up, robbed you, or someone dear to you, has been caught and sent to prison.

spikeychris 18:14 31 Oct 10

Tell that to the family that have been burgled for the fourth time in as many weeks by some scumbag dependent.

Problem: See posts above

Solution: Build two rather large, rather unpleasant scary foreboding prisons and fill with scumbags. If you violently attach someone and rob them, more than once, say goodbye for a long time - twenty years.

Problem: Solved. Next....

sunnystaines 20:02 31 Oct 10

a lot of money in prisons is wasted on tv's,gyms,and other perks etc

prison life should be harsh not a holiday camp, this would save thousands of £'s which could be spent on locking up more of them.

they should come out at the end of their stretch saying i never want to go back. Not saying its not too bad.

spuds 20:03 31 Oct 10

Only last week we had in our local court, a repeat offender who asked, nay demanded, that the judge sent him back to prison, "because he couldn't cope with life outside, and wasn't prepared or going to do work in the community". Does that give a clear picture of an hard life that person had in prison?.

Not all that far from where I live is a rather expensive Young Offenders Institute. Next to that is an old age persons complex. Seeing how both sides live, makes you wonder who is the true victim.

I would add, that there as been over a £million spent on planning etc to build an extension to the YOI complex. This project as now been shelved by the Con/Lib coalition, as being far to costly.

spikeychris 20:30 31 Oct 10

so we should not lock people up because we need to pay for operations? We have no idea how this would effect the economy - removing habitual criminals from society for a very long time should assist the chancellor in a myriad of ways but as its never been tried we don't really know.

That said - I would love to give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…