Shipping Warning for Vauxhall Corsa

Al94 18:48 29 Nov 11
Answered

Must have been a very carelessly parked hire car! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-15934908

wiz-king 18:55 29 Nov 11

Parked on a slip-way - tide came in - car floated and went to sea. It should have been pea green and had an owl and a pussy cat in it!

Mr Mistoffelees 19:28 29 Nov 11

"It should have been pea green and had an owl and a pussy cat in it!"

Instead it had the misfortune to be driven by an idiot.

octal 20:25 29 Nov 11

I can imagine the broadcast for that from the CG nav warning, I bet that made a few ears prick up telling them to look out for a Corsa car.

morddwyd 20:32 29 Nov 11

This is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

I hope the driver gets done for littering!

Brumas 22:40 29 Nov 11

He probably thought that's how to dip the clutch - groan, I couldn't resist it ;o}

Chegs ®™ 07:15 30 Nov 11

Cars ending up in the sea happens all too often(especially here)I've watched a Hillman Avenger float past the pier whilst I was fishing,helped rescue a Landrover from the beach and the ultimate cock-up,helped the Windermere rescue crew rescue their boat and then had to rescue the tow-car(a bloody great Landcruiser)when a large wave washed it off the slipway when they were called upon to act as coastguard rescue for a film crew(which was why a freshwater rescue boat was present at the seaside)We've also had a Transit van in the harbour because the guy had an argument with his girlfriend about going drinking,so she let the handbrake off and gave it a push down the slipway nearby.The webbing straps used to hoist these vehicles back onto land often digs into the bodywork due to the weight of water within and vehicles such as this Corsa are likely to become write-offs.

Quickbeam 07:41 30 Nov 11

"...are likely to become write-offs."

I don't think there's any likely about it, submerged cars are considerably heavier with the additional silt/sand that gets into everywhere. It gets into the carpet/seat cloth weave, the headlining cavity, the ventilation system, anyway into the engine, anyway past bearing seals, into steering rack gaiters, into electrical systems, literally everywhere!. Any bodywork damage is irrelevant.

Autoschediastic 07:43 30 Nov 11
Answer

One of my best mates lives in Mumbles & i showed him the link from the beeb and he and his mates hadnt heard of this intresting we all have and yet the people in the very place havent lol

spuds 17:44 30 Nov 11

I don't know about a vehicle be written off, because it was submerged in sea water.

When I lived at the Aquatic Gap in Barbados, we had a tropical storm that lasted a number of days, with the end results that there was major flooding. I had a British Leyland 1100 at the time, and this vehicle was eventually submerged. When the floods went down, we were expecting the worse.

It didn't turn out like that, because after we had changed the engine oil and filters, changed the fuel pump and cleaned out the silt from the interior, the vehicle was once again drivable. It did take a little longer though to remove the smell from the car interior, strong disinfectant daily and wide open windows was a necessity for quite a few days after.

Another incident while I was living and working there, was a person who we knew, and who had been trying hard to sell his car. On travelling by the sea port we saw a crowd gathering, so made an investigation. Lo and behold there was our now wet car seller who stated "Been an drown me car man".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…