Shed owners warned wire on windows could hurt burglars??

Autoschediastic 01:36 28 Jul 11

Well i dont own a shed but believe me reading this story i think this country needs to shape up its laws and sharpish too! its about time the laws was changed to STOP this idiocy..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/outdoors/8318985/Shed-owners-warned-wire-on-windows-could-hurt-burglars.html

JanetO 08:47 28 Jul 11

What a funny responce, spider9.

Yes, it's a sign of the times. We have barbed wire on our back garden fence to deter thieves and I often wonder in these criminal protective times if we'd get sued if the little sausages hurt themselves trying to rob us.

Quickbeam 08:54 28 Jul 11

If I was in your jury JanetO, I would take the line that any injured criminals have to take full responsibility for any occupational injuries that occur in their line of work.

If they can't get decent insurance to cover themselves, it would surely be a case for the EU to take up with the restrictive practices of insurers on account of the burglars human right to insure themselves from the hazards of their chosen occupation.

woodchip 09:20 28 Jul 11

Got barbed wire on back of my Fencing on my side, So if they get tangled up for trying to Rob me why should I be penalized. Had some Copper stolen other day while I was out so am installing Electric Iron Gates so I can shut them when I go out. Its about time they started penalizing the Guilty not the one loosing out

carver 09:20 28 Jul 11

spider9 residents in part of Sheffield were told exactly the same thing after a series of thefts, so it's not new.

What the story didn't tell you was what happened to one of the residents of that village asking for advice on how to protect his electrical tools if he couldn't reinforce his windows.

Small extract,

But this week, Mr Bishop a former BBC engineer in his 60s, said that he had approached a PCSO after the meeting to find out how he could protect his electrical gear, which is worth thousands of pounds.

Rather than being given sensible advice about how to store the valuable equipment - some which carry up to 30,000 volts - Mr Bishop says he was told to put up a fluorescent sign to warn crooks they were 'in danger'.

He was told that the best sign to use would be a yellow sign with 'WARNING - ELECTRICAL TOOLS' written on it - and just in case the burglar didn't get the message - or couldn't read - he was also advised to add a 'lightning bolt' to indicate the danger.

Mr Bishop was also told the sign needed to be fluorescent as 'most burglaries happen in the dark'.

link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8333127/Police-use-a-sign-to-warn-burglars-about-expensive-tools.html

HondaMan 12:11 28 Jul 11

reasonable precautions that do not amount to a trap may lawfully be taken to prevent trespass

I suppose the toe-rag could always argue that the shed was "an allurement"!

spuds 12:28 28 Jul 11

I often wonder why it is okay to put barbed wire or razor wire protective devices around prisons, young people institute, and perhaps some commercial properties, and at the same time tell the general public that very easy and seeable cemented glass on walls, or planks of wood with nails are illegal.

You can use rubber flexy pointy things though. Pure torture to the local cats or bird life!.

interzone55 13:08 28 Jul 11

A lot of these stories are total hot air, there's not a scrap of evidence to say that anyone has ever sued or been sued.

There's a similar story today saying that IT companies have massively overcharged for government IT equipment, with desktop PCs costing up to £3,500, this story has been published in a lot of press despite that fact that the government has admitted that they can't prove any of this. In all likelihood someone has found an invoice for a PC costing £3,500, which may be a high-end workstation or PowerMac that retails at this price, and assumed that they've been ripped off...

spuds 13:47 28 Jul 11

alan14

There was an article in a daily newspaper a couple of weeks ago, when it stated that one particular NHS Trust (I have now forgotten the name of the trust) was being charged over £32.00 for large packets of toilet rolls. Very similar to the same quantity- quality toilet rolls from a supermarket that could be obtained for less than a tenner.

Then there was the case of a police force local to me who was double invoiced for some radio communications equipment, which was paid. The event only came to light after an internal audit, when the supply company had gone bust. We are talking £thousands of lost public money here.

Colin 20:14 28 Jul 11

The problem with the media is that they can report any unsubstantiated story quoting “sources” and some people swallow it hook, line and sinker because it suits them.

proudfoot 16:34 29 Jul 11

I was always under the impression that you cannot benefit from criminal activity therefore if in the act of committing an offence you should not benefit financially if you get injured. You shouldn't have been there in the first place and if you had not been there you would not have got injured. Therefore you were 100% responsibe for the injury. My personal feelings are if I was a jurer on a case of a burgular suffering injury at the hands of a defendant protectinng his property or himself from possible injury I would find the defendant not guilty except in very exceptional circumstanses. I think it is wrong that anyone in that situation should be arrested except in very exceptional circumstances. Many people suffer worry and indignity being arrested on flimsy or no evidence whatsoever, suffer stress of having to answer questions not knowing the answer only to be released later and with no apology. The law in this country has been an ass for many years and is getting worse with all the rubbish coming from Brussels.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017