Sharpen your knives...

Graham. 11:26 30 Jan 10

No, it's not a witch hunt, it's a new sharpener made in my home town click here

Quickbeam 11:31 30 Jan 10

It looks good. But at £65.59, I'll be using my diamond steel for a while yet.

johndrew 11:55 30 Jan 10

Unless you own expensive, professional knives it is likely to be cheaper to buy replacements than sharpen them at this price.

Forum Editor 12:48 30 Jan 10

I'm a customer - I have never yet found a knife sharpener that did a good job for long. They all give up the ghost after a while, and some of them don't even work well when new.

john bunyan 13:36 30 Jan 10

You need a good old fashioned two sided carborundum stone, wet (one side quite smooth) and a proper butcher's steel, with, for meat etc German or Swiss made butcher's knives.I have had this set up for about 25 years!! Trouble is if you leave the very sharp knives in a normal drawer the house 'elf and saftey think the results are too dangerous.

Forum Editor 13:40 30 Jan 10

I have the knives and the stone, and have had various butchers' steels. The knives and stone are good, but the steels have never been reliable. perhaps I've been buying the wrong ones?

Graham. 14:39 30 Jan 10

More info click here

john bunyan 14:49 30 Jan 10

My steel is oval but with quie acute angles at the narrow bit. - it says "JSLEUR Rustless", and was made in Switzerland. My knives are Victorinox and Fairfax - but as they are even more than 25 years old, I do not know if the brands are still extant. I used to run a large meat processing plant and most butchers would sharpen their knives with a stone once or twice a day only, but use the steel quite frequently. With a high throughput a knife could wear out in a couple of months.Fish filleting knives are thinner and may need to be even sharper to neatly skin or fillet a fish.If you have a local old fashioned butcher he may be able to obtain such stuff for you via his supplier.

oldbeefer2 21:14 30 Jan 10

I've been using Global for two years and haven't needed anything more than a steel; the diamond ones look interesting for when the time comes, though.

peter99co 23:05 30 Jan 10

A blunt knife is nobodies friend.

dukeboxhero 23:39 30 Jan 10

Working in the butcher trade for 15 years in days gone bye we always used Victorinox knives ,We also had some German Knifes that never kept there edge,i still have my knives and a good steel ,if your not used to useing a steel i think its best that you put the tip of your knife on a bread board and run the steel in small circles up and down the knife, this will save you having a thumb like mine that has more short cuts than a Tom Tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5