Setanta in Trouble?

birdface 13:08 07 Jun 09

Having just visited friends in Scotland there seems to be rumors that Satanta are in Financial trouble.
Overdue payments to Scottish football teams of over £3 Million .
It has been said that some of the clubs may not survive without the money due to them.
Walking through Asda's I noticed that all of the Satanta Digital boxes were on sale at nearly half the normal price.
Just wondering if this is only a problem North of the Border or whether it is affecting any other football clubs south of the border.

anchor 13:41 07 Jun 09

Some press comments:

click here

click here

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:20 07 Jun 09

Sport is over valuing itself and this is one of the outcomes. Interesting to note that the BBC revealed that the wage bill for football clubs went up by 25% last year, I guess the punters are finally waking up to the fact they're not getting good value for money.

birdface 14:22 07 Jun 09

Thanks for your click here's I was just Looking myself but you beat me to it.
This has nothing to do with Satanta but found it on your 2nd click here.It is a different story but why can't we see their wages after all it is us that is paying for them. click here

Back to Satanta I am with Virginmedia and you get Satanta free with their TV programs so just wondering what will happen if they loose that.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:24 07 Jun 09

click here

correction - the average was 23%

interzone55 14:47 07 Jun 09

"but why can't we see their wages after all it is us that is paying for them"

That's a mistake people often make. The TV licence fee is not paid directly to the BBC, although they're charged with collecting the fee.

Rather the fee goes to a Consolidated Fund held by The Department of Culture Media and Sport and is shared between BBC TV, BBC Radio and S4C. The BBC also gets a fee from the the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to pay for BBC World Service and BBC Arabic Television.

This means that we don't "pay their wages" in just the same way as you don't pay the wages of till staff at a supermarket you frequent.

Also, why should we know what TV & radio broadcasters are paid, the amount means nothing unless it's seen in context. How much Jeremy Paxman is paid is just a number unless it can be seen alongside the fees Jon Snow or Mark Austin receive...

Si_L 16:18 07 Jun 09

My Setanta season ticket that came free with my £30 PVR is coming to an end, and I refuse to pay the £10 or so for a monthly subscription, so its good news, as hopefully the England games will be back on terrestrial where they belong.

AL47 16:31 07 Jun 09

if i wasnt living with parents i wouldnt even have a tv lol, id like there to be a situation where you could have only the truely free channels [- bbc]

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:58 07 Jun 09

' id like there to be a situation where you could have only the truely free channels [- bbc]'...you still have to pay the licence fee so it is not truly 'free'.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:07 07 Jun 09

Setanta were short-sighted when they took over many contracts. They singularly did not take into account the rapacious money grabbing that is needed to keep these jokes of 'clubs' alive and how much more the clubs would need each year, just to pay players and staff wages. The clubs pay their players Loony Tunes wages, some getting more in a week or two than the PM of the UK trousers in a year.

Gate receipts are well done at many clubs as are sales of the dreadfully tacky shirts with players' names emblazoned on the backs, so the clubs will look to new ways of filling their rapidly emptying coffers. The easiest is to rack up the amount TV companies have to stump up to show their attempts at booting a ball around.

Setanta are dead in the water and as many cable/sat channels are feeling the economic pinch I will bet that the footie clubs are a tad concerned.

G

interzone55 17:25 07 Jun 09

"if i wasnt living with parents i wouldnt even have a tv lol, id like there to be a situation where you could have only the truely free channels [- bbc]"

Just how do you think the non-BBC channels are financed? From advertising and phone calls. For this reason they have to be "popular" so they show the lowest common denominator "entertainment".

Channel 4 used to be truly innovative with it's programming, but now fills the schedules with Big Brother. ITV used to make great drama, but now shows wall-to-wall "reality" TV stage managed by satan's less likeable brother Simon Cowell, and presented by Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum.

The only good TV seems to be shown by Five & Five US, but they seem to be showing more & more repeats of the many US crime dramas...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac