Send us your Email Scams!

Uboat 12:37 26 Feb 11

Ah so they are intrested! this looks good for us all!
maybe now i wont recive the mass amounts of them per week...

click here

Algerian peter 12:51 26 Feb 11

"maybe now i wont recive the mass amounts of them per week..."

I cannot remember the last time we received anything. Why do you recieve mass ammounts of them. Do you reply to them?

birdface 12:56 26 Feb 11

Maybe just like the scams run in Auto-trader.
Scammer tried to purchase my niece's car so after reading the warnings given by Auto Trader we contacted the police by e-mail as advised.
We actually did this a few times and 2 or 3 year later we still wait for a reply.
So.
Obviously they have more important things to do so I can see the scam e-mails heading in the same direction.

jakimo 13:10 26 Feb 11

The 'victim', named Peggy, said she lost thousands of pounds after responding to requests for small amounts of money.'
The lady is described as a 'Victim' and now complains that she receives 100 scam letters a week
She don't appear to understand that she is a victim of her own doing

spuds 16:09 26 Feb 11

I should imagine that the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau are fully aware of most scams. Its the resources for investigating and catching that might prove to be the biggest burden. Assuming that funding isn't withdrawn very soon, like similar ventures?.

But then again, it only takes a deletion button, to resolve the issue. Perhaps to simple for some people?.

BT 16:56 26 Feb 11

Strikes me that if you don't get the 'Prize' from the first couple of times you succumb to one of these letters you have to be a bit naive to keep sending them cash. This isn't the first time that someone has been reported as having been scammed for thousands of pounds.
The media always seem to emphasise that its 'Old' people who get caught out but I'm betting its all ages. I'm getting old but I'm pretty sure I won't be caught out. I'm too much of a Scrooge anyway to start giving away my money to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

skeletal 15:35 27 Feb 11

Don’t be too quick to dismiss everyone caught up in scams as being a bit dim witted. Some scammers are very clever and set up complex systems that can catch almost anyone out.

One that caught out my son a few years ago started with an official looking email from a company selling lower cost laptops to students. The first part of its cleverness was that it was sent on a private, internal network within his university.

Now, hand on heart, I bet a lot of people receiving an “all-points bulletin” email on the internal work’s system would be more trusting of it than one of those “I’m a Nigerian prince who will give you millions if you send me £10” that are now very well known.

There are a lot of legitimate companies that do deals for students; this seemed to be one of them. Also, the computers were cheaper, but not that much cheaper so the obvious warning signs of “Buy a mega laptop for £10” were also not there.

And the company was contactable by phone, several times. So my son gave his card details and off we went (again, I bet a lot of people that buy stuff on the internet give their card details without too much thought).

The rest is obviously a very long story that involved the police, credit card company, university, fraud office and several reputable retailers (who were also caught up in the scam). But the big irritation was that our own detective work found an address of part of the gang; we gave the info to the police, but never heard anything from anyone again. It would have been nice if we had been told what punishment they had received (even if it was the usual “You’re a very naughty boy” accompanied by a vigorous shaking of the judge’s index finger. The cynic in me suggests the police never bothered to go the address to arrest them in the first place).

Of course, I do agree that a lot of scams are easy to spot, and once you’ve sent money, and had nothing back, surely your suspicions would be raised.

Skeletal

beeuuem 17:42 27 Feb 11

Some of the scams are clever click here but a 'girlfriend' you've never met after 2.5 years??

wids001 11:31 28 Feb 11

A couple of years ago I received an official looking letter, similar to those that Readers Digest used to send out. Inside was a scratch card, and guess what, after scratching off the boxes, one line was a winner - I had the chance to win anything from holiday vouchers to £1m. All I had to do was phone this 09 number and enter the code on the scratch card to claim my prize.

The calls were charged at £1.50 a minute and the call would last no more than 9 minutes (£14.50). Now, I am no mug when it comes to these sort of things and dismissed it. However, my youngest son saw it and although he reckoned it a scam, told me he would phone the number anyway using another phone (don't ask me who's phone!).

This he did a few days later and was presented with a professional sounding voiceover that spent some consderable time going through the prizes etc, etc, - raking up the minutes obviously. When it came to him entering the code on the scratch card, every time he tried he kept getting the message "error, not enough numbers entered". He tried this two or three times but this came up everytime he tried.

I wonder how many other people tried this on their own phone even more times before realising it was a scam are running up big phone bills!

skeletal 09:44 01 Mar 11

Ringing a number for a “prize” is obviously a scam to hold you on for a long time. However, I thought that after the 10 minutes or so your number would lead to you winning a pencil, or something, not that you would have to keep trying to re-enter. Clever, I would not have thought of that part!

Slightly related, many, many years ago, a friend went to one of those timeshare promotions where all you have to do is sit and listen (be brainwashed) for hours. “No obligation to buy” and you get a colour portable TV as a gift at the end (whether you buy or not).

After resisting the onslaught for pretty much a whole day, my friend was one of the few who did not sign up, and demanded his free colour TV. Reluctantly, the organisers bought it out for him, but he saw it was a cheap, tatty, black and white version, so he naturally complained.

“No, it’s a coloured TV, look the case is bright pink”!!

Skeletal

spuds 10:15 01 Mar 11

I seem to recall Sir Clement Raphael Freud, who was a well known broadcaster, writer, politician and chef becoming involved with a possibly scam concerning a 'prize winner' mini motor car.

With his connections he followed it through, and I do believe he was finally presented with the vehicle. Edward Heath, one of our late Prime Ministers also I believe may have done a similar exercise.

Goes to show what a politician can do, if they set their minds on it?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant