Is SCSI still being used by anyone?

pj123 17:38 08 Jul 06

Just having a clear out. Found two SCSI hard drives. One is 1.8gb and the other 1.6gb.

If they are of use to anyone please email me. Because they are fairly heavy, postage would be nice.

Thanks

Diemmess 18:08 08 Jul 06

I have a WD 4.2 SCSI from Windows 3.1 days and a 1Gb Jaz drive with 2 Jaz "cartridges"
Being less generous than pj123, I would not only like postage, but a simple tale of why you want any of this. Convince me and its yours.

Since this is speaker's corner, presumably anyone can wax on a bit about white elephants?

The SCSI drive was a cut above the standard IDE HD (when I bought it)with much fater data transfer.
I added the Jaz stuff, a product now totally eclipsed by huge, fast, HDs or even a tiny pen drive.
Oddly enough my Epson scanner goes back to those days it still works fast and fine. It is now the only reason I retain the 2940AU Adaptec SCSI controller card and the consequently slightly slower bootup.

Its a shame when gear which is working fine has to be shelved because it is not compatible with slicker successors.
There's a human parallel there somewhere!

silverous 20:04 09 Jul 06

In the corporate server world. SCSI is used for disks, backup drives, scanners etc. - even new kit coming out.

johndrew 20:52 09 Jul 06

I still use a SCSI card and HDD on my Amiga. Better still I can get replacements if I need them even after 15 years+. Not many PCs can match that. I had better point out that it is an additional drive, my main drive is the original IDE unit.

jimv7 22:11 09 Jul 06

scsi is still in common use now, the 'raptor (10,000 to 15,000 spin drives) are rebadged scsi to sata, with just the electronics swopped over.

my daughter is still using a plextor 40 speed cd writer, 2 friends still use scsi 3 hard drives at 320 transfer rate, connected via a 39160 adaptec card.

scsi is not forgotten just still very expensive compared to ordinary sata.

sean-278262 23:37 09 Jul 06

Wow, now that is old. It almost doesnt make sense to even post them considering the pen drives these days can hold 2gb (purchased one today) and all for 27quid! So amazing the pace of technology.

pj123 14:49 30 Jul 06

Will tick this thread as the two SCSII drives are now in the bin.

Diemmess 09:07 31 Jul 06

...... more than being SCSI.
I will (stupidly) hang on to my 4.2 for a while, but all that host card and configuration for a tiny drive capacity really makes less sense now than it did when I bought my second 20Gb EIDE and took the SCSI drive out of service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…