Scottish referendum vote margin decision?

Blackhat 11:17 13 Sep 14

I have tried and failed to find out what the margin of vote would decide the result. Ie if 50.01% either way would suffice. If so would the 49.99% have any way of contesting?

wee eddie 11:26 13 Sep 14

Recount!

Simsy 14:02 13 Sep 14

I remember the general election of 1997... There was a very close call in one of the constituencies... (I'm thinking Winchester?? Certainly somewhere in the south west).

if I remember correctly the lib dems won by just a handful of votes, just 2 or 3. The loosing conservative candidate kicked up a bit of a fuss, and eventually succeeded in getting a bye-election held...

Which the Lib Dems went on to win by a margin of about 15,000 votes.

Ouch!

Regards,

Simsy

bumpkin 15:38 13 Sep 14

Simsy, sounds like those that could not be bothered suddenly got off their backsides when it was so close instead of leaving it to others.

fourm member 16:23 13 Sep 14

bumpkin

No bad thing.

The story that one opinion poll said that 'Yes' was ahead (albeit within the margin) seems to have come at just the right time. Reports from around Scotland suggest that the 'No' voters have been galvanised by the threat posed by Salmond.

I've even seen talk of postal voters regretting that they've already sent off a 'Yes' vote now that the truth is out.

I'm sorry if that disappoints Blackhat's hope for a close run thing.

BT 17:26 13 Sep 14

I'm wondering what the turnout will be. Even with say an 80% turnout if the vote is just over 50% either way this will mean that only 40% of the people will have made the decision. For something this important I feel that only a turnout above say 80% should have any standing and an overall majority rather than a simple majority should be required. I know this flies in the face of accepted convention in elections but this isn't an election as such and different rules could apply.

Aitchbee 17:45 13 Sep 14

BT. According to the bookies' predictions, a turnout of more than 80% of voters is slightly more likely than a turnout of 80% or under ... 8/11 versus evens.

fourm member 19:03 13 Sep 14

BT

You make a valid point.

For a constitutional matter like this it should have been 75% or at least 2/3s in favour to make a change.

wee eddie 20:36 13 Sep 14

Spider9: What will you do if the "No" Brigade win?

morddwyd 07:28 14 Sep 14

It's a simple majority vote.

One vote could decide it.

I don'y think there would have tried anything else up here.

Remember the first devolution vote?

There was a clear majority in favour, but Westminster decided it wasn't big enough and refused to go ahead.

The Scots have long political memories!

Quickbeam 08:08 14 Sep 14

Realistically, if it was down to only a few votes, the count of which would vary on every recount, could a call for a change have a look in if the answer kept varying between yes/no by 3 or 4 votes? Would the status quo have to prevail in that scenario?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now