School Uniforms

peter99co 21:24 08 Jun 08

Isn't it sad that some children have to take off the school tie in case a child of a rival/different school picks on them. Are children turning into animals or has this always happened in last few years?
Is this the Gangland effect getting worse?

lotvic 21:32 08 Jun 08

School Ties....Must have missed that. Has it been on the news or something?
If so, please provide link.

interzone55 21:34 08 Jun 08

No it's just the same as it's always been, but now the schools are thinking ahead.

When I was in school in the early 80's we had four schools all within a short distance for each other.

A state comprehensive (my school), a C of E secondary school right next door, a Grammar school on the other side of the railway line (accessed with a handy underpass), and a Roman Catholic secondary school next door to the Grammar school.

We had plenty of fights between the schools, some were pretty bloody and involved the police & ambulance service to clear up the mess.

We also had some spectacular snowball fights between our school & the church school, and some of the rougher kids would put stones in the snowballs.

Being something of a pacifist (well, I don't like getting hurt) I would generally do all I could to avoid the fights.

But our school uniform policy was ties at all times, in school and traveling to & from school, until May 31st, when we could take them off if we wished. So having to wear a tie just gave the other kids something to grab on to.

I think more schools should go for the police style clip on ties, then they just pull clean off if someone grabs them

octal 21:35 08 Jun 08

I thought it was always there, I can remember this happening 40 years ago when I was at school.

peter99co 21:37 08 Jun 08

No Links It is a thing I have heard of in my area and is probably some kind of urban myth but schools kids in the area have some very strange concepts of sensible behavior these days. It is almost like they get points for being louts.

rossgolf 22:14 08 Jun 08

well depends on if its a rough area tbh. but the badges are still on blazers and jumpers so ya no.....

belfman 23:09 08 Jun 08

Security Guards wear 'clip on' ties, look just as good as normal ties and in fact you'll always have a perfect knot!

Quickbeam 00:49 09 Jun 08

Sounds like your school was on Bash Street:)

wiz-king 05:31 09 Jun 08

Spoilsport! You must know that the way you knot your tie is a a fashion statement - I don't know now which way is the 'in' trend but, some of the girls round here wear them round the waist -- as trophies?

laurie53 07:49 09 Jun 08

I must have lived in very civilized times/areas.

Out inter-school rivalry was reserved for the sports field and the annual debating contest!

interzone55 08:45 09 Jun 08

How did you guess?

Just don't call me Plug...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac