Save Windows XP

paul trotter 12:47 19 Jan 08

Microsoft plans to kill off Windows XP in June, but PC Advisor's sister title Infoworld hopes to persuade the software giant to extend the life of the operating system.

click here to learn about the Save XP campaign

SANTOS7 13:24 19 Jan 08

All they will do is reduce the amount of updates until they stop them altogether, 9 times out of 10 you don't need them anyway so XP is going to be around for a long time yet methinks...

anskyber 13:34 19 Jan 08

Luddites.

Forum Editor 13:36 19 Jan 08

Paul is referring to the fact that Win XP will no longer be available in the shops, rather than the discontinuation of support. Under the revised life-cycle guidelines, Windows XP Home and Media Center support will end on the second Tuesday in April 2009, and extended support will end five years later. That extended support period is a long time, and is unsual for Microsoft.

Legolas 13:44 19 Jan 08

The "Save Windows XP" thread about Microsoft discontinuing sales of XP in the near future got me thinking

I use XP and find it easily the most stable of all its Microsoft predecessors. I have never used Vista so I am unable to comment, although I have heard rather uncomplimentary things about it especially for gamers. So as a Vista Virgin what are the pros and cons and how does it compare to XP?

Legolas 13:48 19 Jan 08

Sorry about my post I meant to start a new thread. Sorry Paul Trotter if this takes us off your topic

sunny staines 14:17 19 Jan 08

lets hope microsoft make some good improvementss to vista in the next 14 months or so to win more xp users over to vista.

lisa02 14:27 19 Jan 08

Having had a few brief encounters with Vista on slower machines I disliked it greatly. Since then I have bought 2 new computers with Vista and quite frankly I love it.

No crashes, everything runs fast, as it should and looks beautiful. In fact I just installed my Virgin BB, or should I say the computer did. I plugged it in entered a PIN when asked and that was that!

PS. all my games run fine including ones from a couple of years back....

anskyber 14:34 19 Jan 08

It seems to me that the MS strategy will depend to a degree on the Vista replacement of Windows 7( if it is a replacement rather than a partner OS)

If this is to be believed click here then Vista will have a shelf life as the principal OS of about 3 years. A bold move if they manage it but MS statements about timescales have a habit of being wrong.

If the 3 year span is right then XP as a retail item needs to die soon to justify Vista.

Totally-braindead 15:23 19 Jan 08

I'm sorry to say that I think XP are cutting their own throats here by stopping sales of XP.

Vista seems to be loved by many users but its surely not good business to ignore those that do still have problems with it and to try to force them to go to Vista. I mean if they are stopping sales of it then clearly that is what they are in fact doing.

I myself tried it early last year and had a few problems and had to revert to XP. At the end of the day XP runs perfectly for me and is very stable and does all I ask of it and Vista didn't. I'm not having a go at Vista but it slowed my PC down quite noticeably and my PC is not state of the art by any means but is not an old clapped out wreck either. As for the WOW they advertised I'm afraid I didn't think much of it. It looked good but there was no WOW for me. I found it more of a gimmick rather than of any real use. Perhaps thats just me?

I do still have my Vista disk and might try it again later but I don't know if the problems I experienced have been sorted and until I know they are or until I have no choice I see no real advantage for me in moving to Vista again.

As long as I can still get the XP updates I see no pressing reason for me to move but of course if I was going to get a new PC it would have been nice to get some sort of choice and it seems MS are determined to take that option away from customers. Its a shame but isn't surprising that they are proposing this.

Totally-braindead 15:24 19 Jan 08

"I'm sorry to say that I think XP are cutting their own throats here by stopping sales of XP." Meant MS as in Microsoft of course, sorry about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…