Save Ringo Starr's former home?

peter99co 12:30 02 Jan 11

Put the needs of people first?

click here

Residents have been fully involved in developing the proposals and have shown they want decent homes to replace houses which have long passed their lifespan.

"They are telling us that they are absolutely sick of the delays and the conditions they have to live in. They want the city council to demolish these properties as soon as possible so that they can get on with their lives."

I think they should get on with it as well.

Bingalau 12:51 02 Jan 11

As a Liverpudlian myself, I am heartily sick of all the ballyhoo about the "Beatles". They are just a money making option that we don't need. They have not done an awful lot for the city themselves except for Paul McCartney. As for Ringo well, I would bar him from the city for the way he ran it down. I feel the same about that awful woman who runs the quiz on the BBC. I can't bring myself to mention her name even. Then there's that Cilla Black, another one who couldn't wait to run off to somewhere where the money was more available. It beats me why the airport was named after John Lennon too. What was wrong with naming it after Ken Dodd or Arthur Askey or any of the numerous others who have done a lot more for this city than John Lennon ever did..?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:12 02 Jan 11

'Mr Shapps said the house was considered by many as a "culturally important building".' Ringo Starr is/was a drummer and was not terribly good at it. He lived there for 3 months and would not even remember the place. For the dimwit Shapps to state that the building is 'culturally important' is an indication of how out of touch he really is and does make one ponder on what basis or experience made him suitable to be employed as Housing Minister.

G

sunnystaines 13:55 02 Jan 11

on the news it was a street of run down old slum style terrace houses. i would knock them down and build decent ones.

Bingalau 15:37 02 Jan 11

sunnystaines. That is the general idea and also the general consensus of opinion. But for interference by people who think that the sun shines out of the rectums of the "Beatles".

GANDALF<|:-)> has hit the nail on the head.

spider9 16:35 02 Jan 11

I completely accept that you, personally, did not like the Beatles, but they did do a lot for Liverpool. They effectively 'put it on the map' and made it a tourist destination for a whole new set of people - that alone massively aided the city's income.

I also had some sympathy with Gandalf's view, until he did his usual and had to make reference to a 'dimwit'. He's obviously unable to conduct any discussion without offensiveness.

peter99co 16:43 02 Jan 11

Grant Shapps may not be aware of the fact that we have consulted extensively with local residents over these plans and the overwhelming majority are in favour of them.

Bingalau 21:40 02 Jan 11

spider9
Liverpool has always been on the map. It was always a very progressive city. It has always produced famous people in all walks of life. The Battle of the Atlantic was fought and won, mainly from Liverpool. It was the main port pre war, for the transport of emigrants to the New World of the USA. The worlds first railway was run from Liverpool. It has the finest football team in the World "Everton" as well as the oldest Swimming club in the World "Everton Swimming Association". There are many more iconic things about the city, far too numerous to enter here.

The Beatles were just lucky to be at their best when the much maligned media were looking to brighten up the country during the post war depression. But there were much better artistes before and since them. (by the way I never mentioned not liking them) I just think some of them let the city of Liverpool down badly. They dabbled in drugs and this probably led to other youngsters also dabbling in drugs. They were as badly behaved as most groups of that and more recent era's. But in their case these things have been conveniently forgotten in the pursuit of money.

I agree with Gandalf and his remarks about the person being a dimwit. The property is unfit for anything. If any single person, including Ringo wants it preserving maybe he should put up the cash to restore the whole street. But I bet he is not the least bit interested. So why should the taxpayers of Liverpool pay for its restoration?

Forum Editor 00:18 03 Jan 11

Except make its name known to millions of people all over the world who had previously never heard of it.

I have never been a great fan of the Beatles, but to dismiss them as 'just a money making option that we don't need' strikes me as a little prejudiced, to say the least.

Go to places like Tokyo, New York, Beijing, Sydney etc., and you'll find hardly anyone who has heard of Ken Dodd or Arthur Askey, but everyone knows the Beatles, and they know which city they came from. They were Liverpudlians as much as anyone else who comes from the city. The homes of both John Lennon and Paul McCartney are owned by the National trust, and are visited by tourists from all over the world - tourists who presumably leave sizeable amounts of their money in the city's economy.

spider9 07:38 03 Jan 11

The history lesson was interesting (but we might disagree about the first railway, unless you really meant 'passenger') but was really teaching granny to suck eggs. (;-)

To say the Beatles were 'just lucky' hardly holds credence - Lennon and McCartney also became incredible songwriters and performers in their own right.

But, as I said, I don't think the Ringo house should be saved, either.

As a scouser, like me, you obviously love the city - but I don't remember Liverpool being as 'famous' as you suggest, pre-Beatles. Ask the Mancunians if they would have liked some similar phenomena - they were incredibly jealous at the time. Probably explains why they are now rubbing our noses in it, football-wise!!

Are the nodding donkeys still going? I remember a girlfriend being most impressed when I said I was taking her to see the Formby oil fields - but she was a bit underwhelmed. But, parking on the sands, that was living the dream.....!! Happy days.

Bingalau 10:46 03 Jan 11

O.K. folks let's agree to disagree. Some of the music of the group I do like, but they are boosted up way beyond what they deserve.

There are no nodding donkeys at Formby now as far as I know, but just down the coast at Crosby there are numerous "Iron Men" stuck in the sand which are supposed to be artistic. To me they are ugly obtrusions to the scenery. But tourists also come and take photos galore of them. Why? I have no idea.

Japanese and other nationality tourists take thousands of photo's of other places in the city and also of other cities buildings and palaces. But putting the Beatles up in the "Royal" bracket is what some in the city of Liverpool are trying to do in the pursuit of money. That is just beyond belief.

Now if they started to publicise the deeds of a certain doctor who won two Victoria Crosses I would feel much happier. (I wonder what happened to his abode/abodes?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…