A satellite has fallen out of orbit

peter99co 22:17 PM 16 Sep 11
Answered

A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.

BBC LINK

nangadef 22:54 PM 16 Sep 11

duck.....

Aitchbee 00:11 AM 17 Sep 11

What goes up, most probably will come down...due to Earth's gravitational pull. Isaac Newton knew about these things.

Chegs ®™ 00:12 AM 17 Sep 11

The scientists predictions made me laugh..."could crash somewhere on earth" Hardly likely to hit Mars now is it.

rdave13 00:18 AM 17 Sep 11

" Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government."

A bit tight of them if the pieces land in the US as the taxpayer financed it. If they land in other countries, and strictly US property, then the US should be sued for any damages incurred by their property.

Crosstrainer2 07:24 AM 17 Sep 11

The problem with this one is that NASA just don't know where it's going to hit....I heard it was 6 tonnes, but due to its speed and size, some large pieces are expected to make it through the atmosphere without burning up.

Let's hope it hits an unpopulated area or goes into an ocean.

interzone55 07:52 AM 17 Sep 11

rdave13

That means it's probably an NSA satellite and they don't want any of their secret technology getting out.

Also there's small nuclear reactors in a lot of satellites so you really don't want to be touching any of the bits.

You can track the satellite's fall herehttp://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/uars/index.html

Crosstrainer2 08:19 AM 17 Sep 11

alan14

Thanks for the link.....At least we will know if its heading our way :))

birdface 10:22 AM 17 Sep 11

With my luck it will probably hit my house and take me with it.

I wonder what price the bookies would give me for that happening.

Aitchbee 10:40 AM 17 Sep 11

buteman - I hope you are covered - insurance-wise...I would say the odds are trillions-to-one.You've got me worried now...

johndrew 10:42 AM 17 Sep 11

" Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government."

If you do is it likely you may be extradited to face trial in a US Military court with a maximum penalty of life at Guantanamo Bay or perhaps you will be sent up to replace the satellite - what with I'm uncertain :-))

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…