Same situation, different viewpoints

Forum Editor 07:45 19 Jul 08

This is interesting, if only because it illustrates the power of the media,plus some statistics, to persuade.

click here

Bingalau 08:40 19 Jul 08

FE. Yes, I can remember far worse times, mind you being one of the people who are supposed to be living longer, and also being more well off than previous oldies. I sometimes wonder is it worth it to live longer. But as a certain Harold MacMillan once said "we've never had it so good". so I don't know what all the moaning is about either. Mostly newspaper speak I think.

carver 09:27 19 Jul 08

Interesting piece but I still wish that house prices would drop by a good 40 percent over todays prices.

I can remember when a house was bought as some where to live, not as an investment to make money from, most of the problems (not all) have been made worse by banks/building society's giving money out with out any regards to peoples ability to pay back.

Inflation has fallen? if you are on a fixed income then try and buy the same items as last year with the same money, can't be done, and I don't mean LCD TV's, just the basics.

I suppose it all depends on which side of the poverty line you happen to be.

anskyber 10:41 19 Jul 08

I have recently finished reading a rather entertaining but sometimes sobering book called Watching the English by Kate Fox.

Part of her assessment is we English (yes the Scots Welsh and others on our Isle) are rather a pessimistic lot. We are prone to Eeoreism (after the pessimistic donkey in Winnie the Pooh) and revel in chewing over bad news. When there is none we go out and find it or even make it up.

spuds 12:27 19 Jul 08

House prices seem to depend on whether you can or cannot afford. Looking in my location of the country, the estate agents seem to be having a field day in trying to drum up potential customers, with very limited success. I noticed on the other side of the pond, John Cleese as had to knock off a few million dollars on property sales.

Every week, I notice my shopping bill increasing for basic commodities. Yet I also see the daily issue of big adverts that one supermarket is in competition with another supermarket in reducing prices. I wonder how those on the poverty line feel. The half priced bottle of wine or farmed salmon, might not help them!.

We also see the daily events of increased insolvencies and redundancies, plus strike actions in the making or actually taking place.Yet at the same time, wages and incentives for the more well off increasing.

Transportation is another problem to consider. Fuel prices, rail and bus fares are all increasing by leaps and bounds, yet there are still adverts for that £1 one way flight.The days of the bicycle are not numbered yet.

I truly do know know how I sit on the fence with this one, except to say there is or appears to be a widening gap between those that have, and those that do not.Whether we return to the 90's or 30's, we shall have to wait and see. No doubt some news report will inform us.

robgf 13:16 19 Jul 08

I agree, the basics are cheaper than ever. 4 yogurts for 29p, three bars of soap for 15p.
The only important food items that risen significantly are bread (the basics version is inedible), milk and eggs.
I can still shop for less than £12 per week and eat well, thanks to the market (fruit & veg), Sainsburys (basics) and the pound shop.
Mind you, it does help if your not a fusspot.

Interestingly, I find that the people who complain the most, are those with big houses and flash cars, clothes etc. They obviously waste a fortune on their "toys", then complain about an extra 2p on a loaf of bread.

Forum Editor 13:36 19 Jul 08

"They obviously waste a fortune on their "toys", then complain about an extra 2p on a loaf of bread."

How true that is. I've been in a few homes that could define the words 'conspicuous consumption' and heard people complaining that the paper shop has increased its delivery charge by £1 a week.

I've sat in a meeting with people as rich as Croesus and overheard a Ferrari-driving multi-millionaire berating his PA because she paid £5 too much for the flowers she sent to his mother for Mothers' day.

Everything in life is relative, as they say, and never more so when we're counting the cost of things we think should be cheap.

spuds 13:43 19 Jul 08

Yes I might agree on what you say, but I remember the days when I could collect fresh 'organic' eggs from the chickens we had, plus have a nice slice of 'organic' pork we had raised. I also agree, that in those days, bananas and pineapples were a sheer luxury, and as for mango or other exotic food items. The world is a shrinking place, as far as commodities are concerned.

I would also say, that I personally do not have to worry to much about my weekly budget, moan about it yes, but worry only a little. But many people do have to worry, and I am not talking about the three car and four plasma television family. I was never a moaner in my working days regarding cost of living, because the problem of money didn't really cause a concern. But since becoming a senior citizen, my eyes and ears are bringing new experiences, on how others may now live.Perhaps its because I have to much spare time on my hands!.

I was reading the other day, possible future business plans based on a 20 year expansion programme here in the UK for both Aldi and Lidl. Makes very interesting reading. Even the history part about the Aldi brother who was kidnapped, and duly paid a ransom for his return. Only to claim business tax benefits on the adventure. Now there's a forward thinking business family!.

Regarding the shower gel, I use Asda Smartprice(rrp23p)usually on promotion at between 3p to 11p at our local Asda. A definite bargain buy ;o).

Chegs ®™ 15:26 20 Jul 08

I am unfortunately allergic to a great many things,dairy produce,citrus produce,various soaps,etc so we are forced to buy brand specifics or I break out in a mass of weals.As even vegetable oil based spreads(margarine)contains dairy produce it has taken us quite some time to find basic provisions that dont have me reaching for the anti-allergy tablets and the weekly grocery bill requires visiting lots of different supermarkets as I'm not allergic to say tescos own brands of soap,but am to morrisons.This means that we cannot always buy the special offers and our weekly grocery bill can vary by large amounts.

DrScott 09:03 21 Jul 08

can always generate the answer you want to hear.

House prices may well be high, but people are not buying them and mortgage lenders are not lending - hence the low levels of transactions.

If estate agents want business then they will have to lower prices - the statistics in that BBC article is already historical in its relevance.

The credit crunch is real. When firms like Lehmans see a 61% fall in revenue then something is not right.

It's still early days - there's plenty of time for things to get worse or better.

DrScott 09:03 21 Jul 08

statistics - the coffee hasn't quite filtered through yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…