Salt Shortage

onionskin 21:16 10 Jan 10

I told my wife that my Sunday dinner tasted a bit odd, she said the shop had sold out of salt, but the shopkeeper had said that you could use cat litter instead.

karmgord 21:29 10 Jan 10

Just tried it,cat litter,tastes awful on chips!
;- )

Quickbeam 06:43 12 Jan 10

Missed that on Sunday.

peter99co 17:57 14 Jan 10

Up to 30 councils spurned an offer last year of thousands of tonnes of de-icing salt at a reduced price, to use on the roads this winter.

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:42 14 Jan 10

Well they were being warned by the Climate Change Brigade that, due to carbon emissions, the winters would become milder. Hey ho then.

G

Forum Editor 19:03 14 Jan 10

with someone who told me she had a friend who is involved with the government's road salt allocation scheme. Apparently this person says we are virtually out of salt - only 15 tons a day can come out of the ground - and if there was to be another spate of snow this winter we would be in dire trouble.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 14 Jan 10

click here

Winsford salt mine produces about 1 million tonnes of salt a year

robgf 19:50 14 Jan 10

You learn something new everyday. I always thought salt was produced by evaporation, I didn't know you could mine for it.
Having a "Google" out of interest, it seems the 15 tons a day figure could be a smidgen out, lol.
click here

Seth Haniel 21:08 14 Jan 10

Christmas.
Officially the have none - unofficially the are only supplying to council.

Forum Editor 23:14 14 Jan 10

I also thought the 15 ton figure was wrong, but my client assures me that was what she was told.Something's obviously wrong.

I'm going to investigate further in the morning, but the part about 'we're almost out of salt' was pretty hard to misunderstand. If so much can come out of one mine I wonder how it can be necessary for the government to take control of supplies. After all, the mine in your link only produces 50% of the total UK demand, and it produces 30,000 tonnes a week. If it's doing that all year round, and we're still desperately short It seems we need a lot more salt than I ever realised. Surely we're not using up 60,000 tonnes a week, every week of the year?

IClaudio 23:58 14 Jan 10

The bankers are probably taking their bonuses in salt now, which is why we're running short :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017