Sainsburys Kids vouchers - generous or what?

rmcqua 08:36 14 Jun 06

I guess many members will have been offered these over the past few months (Tesco are doing a similar scheme, though I have had no involvement with it). At the school where my wife works they have collected just over 6,000 vouchers. This corresponds to customers having spent over £60,000.
And what can the school get for this?
A couple of sets of goalkeepers protective gloves and pads OR a simple storage trolley.
I doubt if either of these items cost Sainsburys more than a tenner.
I really find it quite disgraceful that supermarkets, with their huge profits, should indulge in such acts of corporate meanness, whilst trying to give an impression of helping the country's kids.
Thus ends my morning soapbox.

semag 08:41 14 Jun 06

You got something for nothing stop moaning and keep collecting.

rmcqua 08:42 14 Jun 06

I think you significantly miss the point.

johndrew 09:25 14 Jun 06

I remember wen we used to collect the foil caps from milk bottles to generate some cash. It used to take thousands of these for only a small return. However, given that our outlay in effort was negligable and we did get a return it was worthwhile.

The supermarkets are not obliged to give anything away. They simply do it for marketing; and it works. Given that there is no effort on the part of the school other than collecting tokens, which are provided during normal shopping, the outlay is negligable and a return is provided.

There is no such thing as a free lunch so anything you get for no outlay and negligable effort is a bonus.

GroupFC 09:31 14 Jun 06

I'm afraid I have missed the point, too.

The fact is that all businesses are in it to make profits (be they huge or otherwise). The fact that they are promoting their business by the use of the vouchers is a tool they chose to use (and from your figures quite successfully, too!). Are you suggesting that the parents and others spent that amount of money in Sainsburys, just to get the vouchers? I don't think so - they spent that amount because they needed/wanted to. Promotions like the current ones by the likes of Sainsburys and Tescos are extremely unlikely to influence an individuals purchasing decisions, IMO.

rmcqua 09:51 14 Jun 06

Wow, I'm surprised that already several people find this OK and acceptable marketing practice. Having done a little straw poll, yes, I believe that when they have a choice of supermarkets, customers may be swayed by this kind of thing. The parents I have spoken to, who have been conscientiously saving these vouchers, are very disappointed with their 0.016% "loyalty bonus".
BTW, I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't successful (from the supermarket's point of view). But I was suggesting, and stand by my claim of, corporate meanness.

Shortstop 10:13 14 Jun 06

I hve read this thing before.

I use Tescos for the availibility and pricing of the goods. As far as I am aware, there is no 'significant' uplift in prices - particularly when compared to other stores. Therefore, in my eyes, this is a voucher that doesn't "cost" me anything [although I accept that as there is no such thing as a free diner,so it must] so I cannot see what the problem is.

If, for example, I was told that in buying a new dishwasher or other *non-essential* thing that I would be receiving tokens for the same value then I would share your concern. But I have to buy food every week anyhow, so what does it really mater?

Regards,

Paul

Eckybloke 10:45 14 Jun 06

Over the course of the offer I’ve shopped quite a bit in Sainsburys and also in Tescos where they’ve done their Computers for schools. Both of these stores are the nearest two to me and I will continue to shop there over the rest of the year.

So for 6000 vouchers your wife’s school can get “A couple of sets of goalkeepers protective gloves and pads OR a simple storage trolley.”

Now I don’t work for Sainsburys or have any vested interest but a 5 minute search has shown that for 6000 vouchers you could get:

A tennis coaching set – 10 rackets and a heap of balls – 1669 vouchers
12 size 5 footballs – 1031 vouchers
A 12 person junior roller hockey set – 999 vouchers
Two outdoor first aid kits – 710 vouchers
Giant pop up target (3m) – 825 vouchers
4 sets of 3 fuzzy balls for target – 676 vouchers

There we have stuff to keep a heap of kids entertained. No, it wouldn’t cost £60k to buy all that but it is something for nothing. Yes a deluxe PE storage trolley to store ALL the above stuff used up over 6000 but it’s not quite as simple as you make out.

spuds 11:34 14 Jun 06

I generally find that the administration for these type of offers, usually outway the actual goods provided. I suppose the same rule applies to most store discount card schemes.

The thing that I particular notice, is the stores do not seem to 'broadcast' these events to clearly, and in most cases nearer the expiry dates, the store personal seem to have an abundance of the vouchers for disposal (they just cannot give them away!!).

rmcqua 12:14 14 Jun 06

You must be looking at a different reward claims brochure than the one I saw yesterday! I will investigate again this evening.

semag 12:15 14 Jun 06

"semag

I think you significantly miss the point"

It appears you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…