Safe and sensible alternative use[s] for kitchen microwaves ...

Aitchbee 21:39 04 Jan 15
Answered

... I use the microwave [ sometimes for food as well ] for drying out small clean damp laundered items that are hard to dry out completely especially when hung up indoors on a pulley or 'drying horse' during the cold winter months ... towels 'n' joggey-bottoms and tee-shirts etc.[I find that 30 to 60 second intervals on the revolving turntable on maximum power is OK, as long as one is paying attention and doesn't leave the kitchen ... even for a moment.]

Has anybody out there got any other topnotch use[s] for their microwave ovens?

Belatucadrus 23:36 04 Jan 15

Killing CDs,

PS no it's not a good idea very impressive visually with plenty of actinic lightning affects. But the old welding arc effect can do nasty things to the microwave, best avoided if you want to keep using it. The CDs also get VERY VERY hot.

mole1944 05:20 05 Jan 15

To destroy my cd's i have a shredder from staples that does that,and the shredded pieces go into a separate holder.Here it is i know it's out of stock click here

BT 08:48 05 Jan 15

I've got one of those 'Hot Water Bottles' that you heat up in the microwave. Not strictly a "Hot Water" bottle but a stack of what looks like wet J cloths sealed in a plastic bag. Does the job though in its mock sheepskin cover. Takes about 3 minutes to heat up.

Quickbeam 08:52 05 Jan 15

The one thing I never use a microwave for is scrambled egg. The difference between perfect microwaved scrambled egg and vulcanised scrambled egg is about 20/30 milliseconds!

morddwyd 08:54 05 Jan 15

Extremely dangerous to put fabric, or wood or paper for that matter, into a microwave, with or without food.

As you all know, I am a big debunker of Health & Safety myths but this is s definite no-no. You might get away with it 100 times (I have myself, inadvertently!)but immediate combustion, or even explosion in the case of damp wood, is always a risk.

I know of one serious restaurant fire where food serving baskets were put in a microwave for sterilisation.

Anything metal, or reflective, which causes arcing, will damage the waveguide, and degrade efficiency.

With my H&S hat on I cannot urge you strongly enough not to do it!

Quickbeam 11:24 05 Jan 15
Answer

Plenty of keen gardeners will use an old microwave to sterilise soil for seedlings to stop unwanted weeds taking over the growing medium.

spuds 12:26 05 Jan 15

HB - Check out California, for what some certain 'adult' industries use microwaves for, when manufacturing certain objects.

Not saying that you should follow the same practice though :O)

BT 12:37 05 Jan 15

Quickbeam

The one thing I never use a microwave for is scrambled egg.

I suppose it depends on how you like your scrambled egg. Personally I always do it in the microwave. I use a Pyrex jug, crack in two eggs, add a knob of butter and a splash of milk, salt and black pepper, whisk it well with a fork, then give it 1 min on full (800w M/W), take it out and give it a good whisking with a fork and give it another minute. If you like it a bit softer use more milk and/or less time on the second go.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 05 Jan 15

will sterilise various things (non metal and non melting plastics)

ideal for sterilising soil

lotvic 14:00 05 Jan 15

BT, Wot no TT with that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5