The Sad Demise

crosstrainer 09:38 18 Aug 09

Of the oppostion...PCW have announced that they can no longer publish, and have replaced my sub with an inferior publication.

I'm no economist, but would suspect that the lack of advertising came from a weak web site.

Hope I'm not treading on toes here, but pray that PCA will continue for many years to come:)

Seth Haniel 10:14 18 Aug 09

as the FE rips it to shreads ;)

crosstrainer 10:31 18 Aug 09

..Or has a small chuckle :))

PCA and PCW are the only magazines I have ever subscribed to...Long may PCA continue :))

Colin 12:58 18 Aug 09

It's a shame that's PCW has gone as it was my favourite PC mag. No disrespect to PCA, but I found PCA a too basic, whereby PCW was just right. My PCW subscription has been replaced with Computeractive which, although good in parts, is far too “beginner” for me. I've cancelled my subscription and am currently looking for another PC mag to subscribe to.

anchor 13:30 18 Aug 09
  Kaacee 14:48 18 Aug 09

I have subscribed to Computeractive for many years now and still find it full of useful information, I have never subscribed to PCW or PCA due to the vast amount of advertising they both contain along with the excessive price's for what is IMHO, rather elitist magazine's.

You might then wonder why I use this forum, simple really, along with Computeractive forum I know I can find information on all manner of subjects from the many contributors that give their knowledge free of charge.

Stuartli 15:07 18 Aug 09

Re PC World (probably the first computing magazine I read, followed by Computer Shopper).

Gordon Laing - a contributor to remember and respect for his invaluable work serving the magazine.

Barry Fox, with whom I had useful contacts for some years, a long standing expert on both computers and hi-fi and a first class investigative journalist; he also used the pen name of Adrian Hope for some publications.

crosstrainer 15:14 18 Aug 09

I have just done similar....It's a good beginners mag, but nothing in depth there at all.

Past the first two copies on to a friend, and cancelled this morning.

crosstrainer 19:04 18 Aug 09

Here here...Computer shopper was a good mag too, and Gordon I'm sure will find way's of exploiting his talent elsewhere.

canarieslover 19:52 18 Aug 09

Sad as the demise of another mag is, it is probably the result of the PC becoming just another family norm in the same way as TV's & DVD's. Magazines are bought by enthusiasts and not general public so it was inevitable that the plethora of mags available in the 80's and 90's would gradually reduce as the 'enthusiast' base waned. The recession has probably been the last nail in the coffin, so to speak.

laurie53 19:57 18 Aug 09

PCW was always a bit to technical for me (that's not a criticism of the mag, more a criticism of me!), and I always regarded it as the big boys' magazine.

It did lead the field the field though and I suspect nurtured the initial interest of many of today's computing gurus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now