A sad day for surfers as three die today in Cornwall

TopCat® 16:59 26 Oct 14
Answered

Happened today off Mawganporth beach because the three "got into difficulties" out at sea. Four others were found safe on the beach. story here TC.

spuds 18:23 26 Oct 14

The story seems rather patchy at the moment, but my concern would be 'A spokeswoman for the South Western Ambulance Service described the children as "walking wounded" and said they were also taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital for treatment.'

morddwyd 19:08 26 Oct 14

Like everybody else I only know what has been reported, bot I would have thought it was a bit short sighted to allow children to surf in that area with the gales that have been blowing.

The whole of the Worth Cornwall coast has vicious rips, which increase tremendously in the heavy swell brought about by strong SW winds, that;s what makes it so attractive to surfers. No matter how experienced, children are simply unlikely to have the sheer physical strength to cope.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 26 Oct 14

Very sad - especially if it's the children's parents and grandparent.

TopCat® 21:43 26 Oct 14

Here's an update from the BBC website update

We can only rely on the story of what happened from the survivors. Hopefully, this tragic event will be a stark reminder to others of the unknown and dangerous conditions surfers can face. TC.

Woolwell 10:32 27 Oct 14

"Many people ignore the local advice, because they think they know better." It would seem that two of those who died were local.

SimpleSimon1 15:39 27 Oct 14
Answer

Strangely enough, yesterday, I was talking to a member of the Penlee lifeboat crew and (before we heard about this) he mentioned that, since the January storms, a lot of experienced local surfers across Cornwall had been having problems with rips that were unexpected and/or in the 'wrong' places. Apparently, the storms shifted so much sand that it altered the rip patterns on many local beaches and, as a result, places that had been tough but surfable were suddenly developing nasty and/or unexpected rips.

TopCat® 16:25 28 Oct 14

Apparently, the storms shifted so much sand that it altered the rip patterns on many local beaches and, as a result, places that had been tough but surfable were suddenly developing nasty and/or unexpected rips.

I entirely agree with that situation assessment. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac