That's a shame

cream. 20:19 19 May 14

Thought he would be back for Christmas.

click here

Aitchbee 22:13 19 May 14

American justice has been seen to be done, apparently. Now, why can't the alleged terrorists, currently being held captive by the United States without any trial, in CUBA, be given the same fair treatment ... jail 'em or set 'em free.

mbc 08:45 20 May 14

Apparently, his birth name is Mustafa Kamel Mustafa. I bet he really does wish he had a camel now.

johndrew 09:39 20 May 14

I wonder who the FE will consider to be the biggest criminal a convicted terrorist or someone using the "C" word in May!!! :-))

bumpkin 09:42 20 May 14

mbc, He has probably got the hump.

john bunyan 10:56 20 May 14

Why was he not tried in the UK for these offences - were we scared of a backlash?

fourm member 11:33 20 May 14

'were we scared of a backlash?'

I've never understood why he wasn't put on trial here but I really can't see that fear of a backlash played any part in it.

There are examples of Islamic extremists who are in British jails for what look like much less serious matters.

Theresa May is rushing to say 'Look how clever I am for getting him extradited' while everyone else is thinking 'Look how useless you are for failing to prosecute him in the UK'. Especially when the US court relied on a lot of evidence from the UK.

Maybe she feared that a British court would look a bit too closely at his claim to have worked for the security services.

Forum Editor 13:38 20 May 14

"Maybe she feared that a British court would look a bit too closely at his claim to have worked for the security services."

I heard this case being discussed in a Radio 4 interview with a former head of the CIA anti-terrorism unit today. He said that this idea about Abu Hamza being employed by the British security services was a myth - as far as he was aware there was absolutely no truth in it.

He didn't comment on the failure of the British government to bring Hamza to trial, but he did say that the American justice system never forgets. If you commit an act of terrorism against the American nation the system will hunt you down, no matter how long it takes.

fourm member 16:25 20 May 14

FE

To be clear, I'm not saying he was working for the security services. I'm saying I think a British court might have looked more closely at it than the US court did.

Frankly, I'd be concerned if the security services hadn't tried to recruit him.

john bunyan 21:19 20 May 14

I heard the same interview with the US man. Another factor seems to be that, so far, MI 5 or GCHQ seem unwilling to allow phone tap evidence _ unlike the USA. I don't know why as most people were aware of such surveillance before Snowden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5