Russian schools to get free Windows?

jtt 13:09 11 Oct 07

Well that's what I think will happen in response to this: click here

Stuartli 13:26 11 Oct 07

I don't follow the logic of your argument.

interzone55 14:17 11 Oct 07

They won't get free windows, instead they will probably be offered the same deal as far eastern schools - Windows XP Starter Edition and Office Student & Teacher for about £3 a seat.

Not free, but very cheap

Bob The Nob© 01:22 15 Oct 07

Schools in this country are more and more moving to open source software.

jtt 12:22 15 Oct 07

I think that if open source were to get too popular in schools, even in the UK, Microsoft would sell it very cheaply (as in the Far East) or even give it away to them.

youtruth 12:51 15 Oct 07

It is outrages that Microsoft gives some of it's massive profits to charity but at the same time makes high financial charges against our schools.

Windows should be free to all schools.
After all how much profit do shareholders of Microsoft want?
I believe we all know the answer to that.

Without corporate greed, we could sensibly re-draw the redistribution lines of wealth of the massive corporates towards our developing children's futures.

Don't tell us that they already do this when at the same time schools and local authorities are paying a high price for installing poor, hyped and troublesome operating systems.

Stuartli 14:03 15 Oct 07

Microsoft is an American company.

How it makes its profits, distributes dividends to shareholders, decides on the level of charity donations and whether any section of society receives its products free or at lower cost is entirely up to itself.

In fact Bill Gates and Microsoft have distributed many billions of dollars over the years, both for development and research facilities in many countries and to help the poorer members of society.

youtruth 14:12 15 Oct 07

While MS charge us UK prices and not US prices then we should seek that charity begins at home.

Can't believe that anyone would want to exonerate the profiteering to charity mechanisms while'st our schools are taking a hit.

This being the current practices then I wish for less indirect charity collecting please.

The Brigadier 15:53 15 Oct 07

What do they look out of then?
Do they have to knock holes in the walls just to see out?
It's a disgrace that should be looked at as soon as possible by the goverment, walls without windows.

Quiller. 16:20 15 Oct 07

don't they?

My son finished a two year computer course, at college last year and was allowed free microsoft software. e.g. XP and office.

He has just started a computer course at university and can have two operating systems of his choice. e.g. XP pro SP2 and Vista business.

The Uni supply the licence key for two O/s's and one office application.

XP is to go on his mac book and he is building a quad system to load Vista.

Stuartli 18:28 15 Oct 07

Both America and the UK are democracies (although the latter is beginning to gradually lose that distinction in many ways!).

If you don't like a company's policies, feel free to find a suitable substitute for its products.

Businesses are not charities, which ever side of the pond they are based.

quiller has outlined support provided of the type you seek, whilst students are able to obtain Microsoft products at special prices for educational needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…