Rules regarding CCTV

dagnammit 23:29 02 Mar 09

Are say shop floor assistants allowed to see CCTV of thieves?

Stuartli 23:35 02 Mar 09

A strangely phrased question - it begs the quesiton why?

See:

click here

click here

Earlier:

click here

dagnammit 23:46 02 Mar 09

Sorry Stuartli.

I mean - I saw some footage of a thief being played when I was in my boss' office. I know the thief and confronted them when I got home. Her husband says I'd no right to see it and will take it further... ie. complain.

The thief was my sister and I have since argued with her and basically told her I want nothing to do with her after causing me such embarrasment.

Stuartli 23:52 02 Mar 09

But how did/did those present know it was your sister?

As she is married, it presumably would not be obvious from her surname.

However, not an activity to condone, especially so if you are aware that your brother is an employee at the business involved.

It must be a very difficult time for you and, indeed, your sister and her husband.

dagnammit 23:58 02 Mar 09

Yes, they know. I'm in a position of responsibility (not management) and I feel I could not hide something from my boss... as grave as this. I'm also not a good liar anyway, I reacted when I saw the screen and was asked did I know her.

I'm soo embarrassed but thankfully I've been there nearly three years with a faultless record.

mrwoowoo 03:19 03 Mar 09

"I'm soo embarrassed but thankfully I've been there nearly three years with a faultless record."
Your sisters actions have no bearing on your character what so ever.
I'm sure that your boss will know this as well.Rest assured that it has no reflection on you.
Also,your boss has no right or legal backing to take any action against you .Faultless record or not.

laurie53 06:52 03 Mar 09

Not sure of the current position, but this came up while I was still working and CCTV images were covered by the Data Protection Act.

Doubt if this has changed.

Like any other data, even if you are authorised to see such images you are probably not authorised to disclose them.

aveylee 08:13 03 Mar 09

Section 29(3) of the DPA '98 permits disclosure of any data for the purposes of investigating criminal offenses (such as alleged theft as in this case).
This includes disclosure to civilians and not just police; it also does not require any other permission / court order etc.
So the shop were well within their rights, and can disclose the images to anyone who could help them. After all anyone watch Crimewatch or similar shows, they live for such CCTV images.

So dagnammit your safe the husband has not got a legal leg to stand on if he makes a complaint.

dagnammit 08:21 03 Mar 09

Thanks guys.

interzone55 09:26 03 Mar 09

If you email me via the yellow envelope I'll send you a copy of the Data Protection Act guidelines for CCTV.

It's a very dull document, but your Boss should really have a copy to ensure their system complies with the guidelines with respect to signage, storage and quality of images etc...

Stuartli 10:18 03 Mar 09

No secret where to find such information:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…