Rubbish Collections... I am talking rubbish...

Aitchbee 16:20 20 Nov 11

My refuse and my 7 other neighbours' rubbish bins, in my close..GREEN for general, BLUE for recyclables are collected weekly, twelve in all...eight green and four blue.

In my estimation, two bigger capacity bins...one GREEN & one BLUE could cut down on the recovery and emptying, and improve efficiency and labour costs.

Has any body else seen similar rubbish savings?

Aitchbee 16:40 20 Nov 11

...I remember big cylindrical bins with little hinged lids on top, made, out of cast-iron and about six feet high and five feet in diameter were used in the big housing schemes in Glasgow, in the 60's.I used to hide in the 'middens' when playing 'hide n seek' when I was a boy, and also used to recycle 'things' that the neighbours had thrown out.I just do the latter now :o]

sunnystaines 18:13 20 Nov 11

we have just started food slop bins in our area. but because of penny pinching the bins are tiny and hence fill up with peelings after a few days not big enough to last a week, phoned the council and asked for a larger one or a family sized one was told they are all the same size just put extra peelings in the main rubbish bin, then first collection the dustbin men only emptied half of the small bin, phone the council again who just said put it in the main rubbish the various bins are just a voluntry option.

since then scrapped the slop bin, on looking down the road on bin day seems most people given up too.

what a waste of public money by spelthorne council in my opinion.

Aitchbee 20:04 20 Nov 11

...the large metal rubbish bins were virtually indestrucbtable.The 'midgie men' used large custom built, one man operated, bin-moving contraptions to carry the bins safely to the lorries out on the road.It was also the 'IN' thing, to get a 'hudgie' by jumpin' on to the back of the lorries and getting a 'free ride'...ah - Those were the days!

namtas 21:49 20 Nov 11

"fill with peelings after a few days not big enough to last a week" I would have though that slop was unwanted cooked food, is the expectation here not to overcook and slop will be minimal

wiz-king 06:33 21 Nov 11

Feed it to the pigs -- Oh I forgot, that's a form of re-cycling that's not allowed these days.

gengiscant 08:57 21 Nov 11

Up here in Edinburgh it was decided by the powers that be that it would be such a great idea to give every household irrespective of size of the residence a large blue and an equally large red box along with a blue bag. Each receptacle was to hold a particular material or materials for recycling and the boxes would be picked up on alternate weeks. Well in theory anyway.

As is the case of most of the decisions made by are leaders not enough thought is actually given to the whole process. For a start these boxes would need quite a bit of space to store,if you have a small flat in a block of flats this was virtually impossible. The next problem is that the boxes had to out before 7:30am on the day of collection but could remain un-emptied till late in the afternoon by that time of course they have probably attracted the attention of any passing dog,bird or quite possible fox,this was if you were lucky enough to get the boxes emptied anyway. Next problem: if boxes were emptied then invariably they were thrown somewhere in the vicinity of where they had been uplifted from and not for the first time I have picked up the box with a helping of dogs do do's.

I am all for recycling but our system does not work. We now collectively use 1 box for paper and 1 for plastic which are kept at the foot of the block of flats stair. Anything else goes in general rubbish.

BT 09:01 21 Nov 11

sunnystaines

We have had Food Waste bins for about 3 years now. We have a small one to keep in the kitchen with biodegradeable plastic liners. We also have a larger one, capacity 21 litres, to place the bags in for collection. We normally only fill one bag a week, but I have noticed that other households similar to ours, 2 older people, seem to generate several bags each week. Its not that I go snooping in bins but when the blokes come along with their wheelie bins emptying the Food bins I can see how many bags they empty out. It seems that some people waste an awful lot more food than we do.

Miké 13:50 21 Nov 11

The scheme we have is a 3 wheelie bin two week system, supplemented with small food waste bin for indoors (using bio-degradable) bags).

Wk1 black Wheelie-General waste.

Wk2 blue wheelie all non-compostable recyclables.

Wk2 green wheelie garden waste and bio-degradable bags of kitchen waste.

The council will not collect waste that is not in a bin, system works really well.

Aitchbee 14:35 21 Nov 11

I have seen, on occasions, very keen, young, athletic, bin retreivers, transfer the contents of several bins into one, and then climbing on top, compressing the contents...clever stuff...but not recommended!

Cymro. 15:03 21 Nov 11

Is it not possible for someone to work out what is best for the environment? Glass, plastic, steel or aluminium containers. Drinks in particular are sold in all sorts of containers. We would find it a lot easier to recycle if all drinks were sold in containers that were made from the same material.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…