Romania and Bulgaria join the EU

hijo 23:28 31 Dec 06

so thats it there now accepted into the uk ...
click here

Forum Editor 01:37 01 Jan 07

will only be able to come here if they have a valid work permit.

The government has placed restrictions on workers trying to enter the UK from the two new member states, but the regulations have holes big enough to drive a bus through. It's going to be interesting to see how the officials at the points of entry deal with the new arrivals.

WhiteTruckMan 01:49 01 Jan 07

Probably when the EU runs out of neighbours. And if Israel can enter the eurovision song contest then theres lots of potential for new members yet.

WTM

Forum Editor 09:41 01 Jan 07

41% of EU citizens think there are already enough member states.

johndrew 12:03 01 Jan 07

`..will only be able to come here if they have a valid work permit.`

I am a bit confused with this as my understanding is that any member of the EU can enter any member country. Only if they wish to take up (legal) employment do they require a permit.

Right or wrong?

As an aside, I wonder how many EU citizens think there are too many member states?

season8 12:16 01 Jan 07

Dont forget the European Human Rights Act now allows them to come and work freely in the UK without being stopped from doing so! I'm thinking of moving to France, know one seems to want to go their!!

anchor 14:56 01 Jan 07

I view the entry of Romania and Bulgaria with great trepidation. France is certainly not the place people want to go; Calais is still a staging post to come to the UK.

Reading the new Reuters report about people trafficking from there, fills me with dread.

Quote: "Romania and its southern neighbour Bulgaria are among 11 countries listed by the United Nations as top sources of human trafficking, based on reported numbers of victims".

click here

Forum Editor 15:17 01 Jan 07

Any citizen of an EU member state may travel to any other member state and take up legal emloyment there, but......

Romania and Bulgaria have had restrictions imposed on their membership of the EU, and this means they don't yet have all the benefits of membership.

Our government has imposed quotas on immigrants from the two countries, and initially food processing and agriculture will be the only sectors open to low-skilled migrant workers from both of the countries. There will be 20,000 places under this scheme.

Other workers may only come if they have a specific work permit or through a programme for highly-skilled migrants. If someone wants to come to the UK and set up in business, they will be allowed to do so, the principle being the risk is all their own but the benefit is partly Britain's. Those restrictions are planned to last for up to seven years.

There is also an existing agreement whereby Romanians and Bulgarians may enter the UK if they are self-employed or able to set up in business and, critically, prove they will not be a drain on public funds.

It's that agreement which has loopholes big enough for the bus I mentioned earlier. Be prepared to be visited by a Romanian or Bulgarian roofer quite soon.

The Brigadier 15:40 01 Jan 07

How many more countries left can join the EU?
Israel next??

anchor 16:27 01 Jan 07

I suppose a people trafficker could regard himself as self employed; I dread to imagine what business he might set-up. No benefit to the UK, I am sure.

The Brigadier: Turkey is still very keen to join, and negotiations are on going.

WhiteTruckMan 16:27 01 Jan 07

you don't add on a kitchen sink just because there happens to be one lying around. Similarly, countries should not be invited to join just because they are there. With so many (and increasing) member states, all with a voice in policies it will be well nigh impossible to reach a consensus on anything.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…