Robots could demand legal rights

oresome 19:13 21 Dec 06

Robots could one day demand the same citizen's rights as humans, according to a study by the British government.

I hope the Government didn't spend my money on this "study".

click here

Forum Editor 20:09 21 Dec 06

are mutually exclusive.

A robot is:

1. A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human being and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command, or by being programmed in advance.

2. A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

The day that a robot is granted any form of 'citizen's' rights in this country I'll resign as Forum editor - feel free to remind me of my promise when it happens.

rezeeg 20:40 21 Dec 06

And there was me convinced that it was a robot running this site ;-))

(Sorry FE, just joking!)

Belatucadrus 21:14 21 Dec 06

I think somebodies been watching Blade Runner too often. Worry about the Humo-Healthcare before getting in a frazzle about tenuous AI possibilities. Presumably mechanised Spam addicts will need a state funded fix when they get nicked for stealing bandwidth.
I'm not sure what planet these loons are from, but it's not Earth. Unless they're part of the care in the community programme ?

wee eddie 21:42 21 Dec 06

Some of the things predicted have come about, some will come about, and some will remain fiction.

All I can say is that, from my experience, it will take a lot longer than the writers expected and the period of development will be long and tortuous.

realist 21:46 21 Dec 06

I've posted these clips before as (the portentious?)
"Asimo's first day at the office"
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…