Road accidents in your area

Forum Editor 09:14 22 Aug 14
  rdave13 10:16 22 Aug 14

I'm surprised it is over a hundred in our locality.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:40 22 Aug 14

In Taunton Deane, Somerset, my area, there were 55 which included some multiple death accidents on the M5. I think that overall this rural area is not too bad and also need to remember that the southern end of the M5 gets very busy in the summer months and is prone to fog, where it crosses the Somerset Levels, during the Autumn and Winter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 22 Aug 14

A bit of a morbid fascination.

You can't help but look at your local area.

spuds 12:22 22 Aug 14

Having had a look at the list,one major city (Leicester) doesn't seem to be listed, which is very surprising due to that city's extensive road safety policies and campaigns?.

Perhaps its all the speed and other road cameras plus bus lanes, not forgetting that Leicester was regarded recently by TomTom as one of the UK's most congested traffic areas in the UK, that's making the city safer?

Mr Mistoffelees 12:42 22 Aug 14

"Should we consult this information before deciding to holiday in a particular area in case it may have 'higher' accident/deaths?"

If your area appears to have a high road-death rate, trade your car in for a tank. You won't be the one that comes off worse in a collision. If you are walking on the roads, get yourself a Bibendum suit, for a bit of padding.

wee eddie 13:20 22 Aug 14

A (very) quick look at South Ayrshire, my territory, reveals that almost all such accidents happen at Road Junctions and Roundabouts.

a point to ponder

Quickbeam 15:07 22 Aug 14

But not very up to date. There's at least 4 fatalities within the last 3 years and 2 miles of where I live that aren't shown.

bumpkin 16:32 22 Aug 14

QB, it is not up to date 1999 to 2010 but whether it is updated annually I don't know but that would be more informative.

Quickbeam 17:08 22 Aug 14

I read that but didn't take it in!

spuds 12:12 23 Aug 14

Having had a further look at the lists, and especially ones of personal interest, including those nearer my own location of the country, brings back memories of possible previous past events, long since forgotten, but in the timescale of the survey.

One location noted especially, seemed a little confusing to the information provided, especially as the information was apparently provided by those in authority.

In that information,which is not quite true, stated that the driver of the car and dead person was a man aged 16-24 (?). It also stated that the incident took place on Sunday 12 December 2010 at 11.25PM, the weather was fine?.

If I recall rightly, the actual incident took place on a cold winter December night, shortly after the driver had left a relatives home at about 11.10PM/11.15PM, and the driver was heading to his own home. He never arrived at his and partner's home, and the family made a search of the expected and usual route,the driver usually took, and found nothing. The distance of the route was about an half hour journey, at reasonable speed.

The next day, a family friend and HGV (high cab) driver noticed a vehicle (which he recognised, as belonging to the driver) down an embankment, hidden by some undergrowth. The HGV driver was unable to stop,due to his work schedule, also thinking that the vehicle had been there some time and was reported, plus it was unsafe to stop his vehicle on a major busy two lane road, but he later reported the matter, and a one vehicle two officer police search was conducted with 'no findings reported'.

The family then took up their own search and found the vehicle and driver's body some way from the vehicle. This incident brought an investigation, on how the police had acted, and why it had taken approximately three days to locate the dead person, even though the incident had been reported within those three days. There may or would/should have been a final outcome about this particular incident,and perhaps there is, but very little if anything was reported by the media of the final closures to this terrible and sorrowful incident.

Perhaps it might be queried why I posted the above, but I thought it might be of interest, especially if similar possible incorrect information was in this survey/report that others may know about, through personal involvement?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant