Rivers of Blood

laurie53 08:11 20 Apr 08

Much talk recently about Knocker and "his Rivers of Blood speech."

I have heard the speech many times, including when it was first made, and I have never heard any mention of that phrase.

So far as I can tell he quoted a historical phrase from Roman times about "the River Tiber foaming with blood", which is not quite so emotive, though I think the sentiments are probably similar.

BT 08:25 20 Apr 08

40th Anniversary today according to BBC this morning.

bremner 09:20 20 Apr 08

Wiki gives this explanation click here

johndrew 10:44 20 Apr 08

The manner in which this speech was reported is worthy of many of the modern `spin doctors` employed by modern government.

The man was expressing a view on the manner in which he perceived society moving and was attempting to provoke thoughtful action to head off what he saw as a hazard. In terms of freedom of speech and the intellectual process he used I saw no harm at the time or now. In fact his predictions appear to have more substance and support today as they are being shown as fairly accurate; this based on BBC polls broadcast recently. He did after all say he thought such a situation would occur some years into the future.

Picklefactory 11:34 20 Apr 08

Right or wrong, free speech is something that sometimes seems a little one sided, in my opinion. People living in this country of numerous creeds and nationalities are often applauded and encouraged by their peers to speak out condemning British culture and politics, it is tolerated by the Government. But if an 'indiginous British person' (Not sure what the correct term should be) should state an opinion in any way similar to Powells, or indeed in any way negative to immigrant satisfaction, they are slated as racist. It sometimes seems to me that only white British people can be racist, whilst others are just shown as 'expressing their religous/cultural views', regardless of how inflammatory it is.
Whilst I may not agree with all that he said, I applaud his courage in stating what he obviously felt to be something that seriously concerned his constituents, but was something the vast majority of 'indiginous' people were frightened to say.

Picklefactory 11:38 20 Apr 08

"the vast majority of 'indiginous' people were frightened to say."

Should have said,
"the vast of majority of those with similar views, were frightened to say" not intending to imply that the majority agreed with him.

spuds 12:42 20 Apr 08

But doe's the establishment listen to any warnings!.

I notice the police at high command levels are now stating that Eastern European criminals are causing absolute chaos to the system, yet the government are appearing to state the opposite.The same perhaps applies to 'No Go' areas, and the latest photographs of a government minister making a visit, with heavy police protection and a stab proof vest. Or another minister saying that they would not venture in their own constituency after dark.

Looking at some of the documentaries on television lately, we can perhaps think of a saying from Dad's Army - "We're Doomed".

LastChip 13:07 20 Apr 08

and the explosion of media comment it caused.

The fact remains, Enoch was almost a prophet stating a fact that has proven to be true and yet, still this bunch of misfits that call themselves a government bury their heads in the sand.

It doesn't take much thought to see immigration is totally out of control and whether you blame Europe or other factors is irrelevant.

spuds, we are indeed "doomed"!

Mr Mistoffelees 14:48 20 Apr 08

"For reasons which they could not comprehend, and in pursuance of a decision by default, on which they were never consulted, they found themselves made strangers in their own country. They found their wives unable to obtain hospital beds in childbirth, their children unable to obtain school places, their homes and neighbourhoods changed beyond recognition, their plans and prospects for the future defeated; at work they found that employers hesitated to apply to the immigrant worker the standards of discipline and competence required of the native-born worker; they began to hear, as time went by, more and more voices which told them that they were now the unwanted. " Powell.

This is happening in towns, villages and workplaces all over the country as immigrants from Eastern Europe stream in.

It is happening now in the small town in which I live and at my place of work.

Forum Editor 16:48 20 Apr 08

one of which was "I regard many of the peoples in India as being superior in many respects – intellectually, for example, and in other respects – to Europeans." but the so-called 'rivers of blood' speech is what grabbed the headlines then.

That was 40 years ago, and the world was a different place. I'm all for living in the present and anticipating the future, rather than harking back to a time long past. Like it or not, we live in 2008, and we should be dealing with our problems in a 21st century context. If you don't like our government's policies you have the chance to express that dislike via the democratic process, either in the ballot box, or by pestering your MP.

Bingalau 17:20 20 Apr 08

If pestering MP's would do any good some of them would be pestered to death. But I can't see any of them taking the slightest notice. They still carry on doing what they are told to do by their party leader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now