Rise above adversity

Strawballs 17:28 PM 13 Mar 12
Answered

This man really deserved to succeed

Click Here

Strawballs 17:29 PM 13 Mar 12

Sorry I thought I was in Speakers Corner, maybe FE could move it please.

Forum Editor 18:28 PM 13 Mar 12

Your wish is my command.

Moved to Speakers Corner

Aitchbee 18:36 PM 13 Mar 12

Adversity...makes some people achieve things that other people only dream about....a nice story Strawballs.

Strawballs 11:59 AM 14 Mar 12

Thank you FE. When you see what he went through it makes his achievement incredible!

johndrew 12:04 PM 14 Mar 12

It is a great story.

These days many athletes are 'over the hill' at much earlier points in their lives (or considered so) and life expectancy is far greater - provides a point to ponder.

ams4127 17:36 PM 14 Mar 12

That is the real meaning of "True Grit".

Blackhat 18:05 PM 14 Mar 12

Well I never thought I would see his name on here or in the news, he was my wife’s grandfather.

Some years ago a new housing estate was built in Eastleigh (both his and my wife’s town of birth) and one part was named after him, see pic of Mrs B and road name.

Tommy Green Walk

Strawballs 18:10 PM 14 Mar 12

Well I'm glad they did something for him in his home town, I'm actually from Portsmouth but saw the story in the local bbc site.

Blackhat 18:31 PM 14 Mar 12
Answer

Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention although we would have probably heard about it from family at some point. We will definitely be attending the street party in July.

His son (Uncle Ray to Mrs B) is mentioned in the article and is still very much with us, now in his eighties. Although we live in Birmingham we travel down a few times a year to stay with family and there is always talk of Tommy. Those trophies and medals in the picture are all still in the family and somewhere there is a pic of a very young Mrs B sitting on Tommy’s shoulder.

Strawballs 21:56 PM 14 Mar 12

That's really nice glad to have been of assistance (however unwittingly)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things