R.I.P. the Nimrod

sunnystaines 07:51 26 Mar 10

click here

the nimrod is no more from today. it did well considering it was built around old comet frames, it replaced the old Shackleton back in the 70's. but nothing to replace the nimrod at present.

sunnystaines 08:13 26 Mar 10

managed to find a update, the new version being built around the comet frame again, i would have thought they might have used the airbus frame, but i'm not an aircraft engineer.

click here

morddwyd 09:11 26 Mar 10

Low altitude cruising and tactical manoeuvring is much more punishing on the airframe than high altitude constant speed cruising which is the norm for airliners.

Because of the redesign following the metal fatigue disasters the Comet airframe was much stronger, and presumably still is.

I was at St Mawgan when the first MR1 arrived and did some of the acceptance checks on it.

I was also partly responsible for the introduction of the Stingray torpedo for the MR2 and ran quite a few trials at St Mawgan and Kinloss.

I even worked on the AEW3, later cancelled, at Boscombe Down in the 80s.

Since I started my career on Sunderlands at Pembroke Dock in 56, and spent twenty odd years on Shackletons this is also the end of a personal era for me!

sunnystaines 09:16 26 Mar 10

shackletons were planes with a bit of character always liked watching them.

thanks for info

Brumas 09:18 26 Mar 10

I thought you worked on the 1912 Avro F ;o))

morddwyd 09:30 26 Mar 10

The earliest "in service" (as opposed to museum piece - I also served at Cosford!) was the "Tante Ju" (first flight 1930), the three engined Ju 52, the one you always see dumping German paratroopers in war films (French Air Force, visiting Aden from Djibouti, '59).

I also worked on the RN's beloved Shagbat, the Walrus, (1933), at Pembroke Dock in the 50s.

Don't go back any further than that I'm afraid!

Brumas 10:30 26 Mar 10

Sorry old pal, I thought you were even older than my old oppo Bingalau ;o))

sunnystaines 12:58 26 Mar 10

my old favourite was the westland gannet I presume long gone now

Quickbeam 13:06 26 Mar 10

There's a Gannet at Duxford museum, a fascinating looking plane.

KremmenUK 13:58 26 Mar 10

I went in a S&R Shackleton many times when I was stationed at RAF Honington.

No pressurisation and the rear window by the door opened like a caravan window on a handscrew. Lean out and take photos I was told - no way :-)

jack 14:42 26 Mar 10

Thoughts like 'Why dont they.............?
And it takes Engineers[even of the Ex variety such as morddwyd] to put me in my place.
I too thought good Old Nimrod but why don't they simply stuff an Air-bus with the electronics and indeed perhaps they could or even that old but still serving -Transport workhorse- that the yanks have turned into gunships and temporary bombers in the past.
But there you go out of the mouths of babes and....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…