Rip off Britain,don't get me started

karmgord 20:53 13 Mar 10

Rip off Britain,don't get me started,
Why do we allow the gas companies to blatantly profiteer over gas prices?
P.S I know I'm definitely turning into Victor Meldrew.

octal 22:08 13 Mar 10

Why? Because they can get away with it, that's why.

Talking of good old Vic, I just love it when BG knock at my door, Vic would be proud of me.

OTT_B 22:34 13 Mar 10

There was thread recently that showed BG makes an average profit of £1 per household per week. Doesn't seem that bad to me.

natdoor 22:34 13 Mar 10

Don't be silly. The vital service of energy provision was privatised so that competition from new entrants to the market would keep prices down. You don't think that gas companies will refuse to build storage facilities in the UK, which would enable them to buy gas when the spot price is low and ensure continuity of supply, just so that they can inflate their prices when gas is in short supply, as it was a month or so ago when some manufactureres were put on reduced supplies, do you?

Forum Editor 22:50 13 Mar 10

you would expect the people who run the business to make a profit, so they could pay you a dividend. The duty of a company director is to act in good faith to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members - the members being the shareholders, the people who own the business.

DieSse 23:01 13 Mar 10

And here's me thinking that successful, profitable companies, that pay tax on profits, have money from profits to invest, pay returns to investors (which are often pension funds in large companies like this), and give employment to people - are what the country needs more than anything.

As opposed to state subsidised industries, operated on the whim of each government, often controlled by ministers who wouldn't know how to run a company if it bit them on the bum, starved of investment, with feather-bedded workers, over powerful unions, and no competition.

If there were no profitable companies, there would be no public sector at all - because there would be no government income.

Kevscar1 07:28 14 Mar 10

karmagord.
The actual figure is £1.13.4 profit a week. Why not ask them if in your case they would forgo that. Then tell us what you actually do with it.

Input Overload 09:27 14 Mar 10

The pipeline to delivery gas to the UK from Norway is the longest undersea pipeline in the world. I imagine it cost a fair amount of beer tokens to install.

Insulating your home properly, turning rads off in unused rooms, turning the boiler stat down a little & the room stat can save you lots in the cold months. Making sure your boiler is always working to it's full efficiency by regular servicing, all can make it so you are using far less gas than you were 10 years ago.

Input Overload 09:28 14 Mar 10

karmgord, without profits a company cannot invest in the future.

Joseph Kerr 10:27 14 Mar 10

But you said "...dont get me started"...

karmgord 17:04 14 Mar 10

58% increase in profits
click here

While wholesale gas prices tumble 66%

click here

I call that profiteering,
OH DEAR I'VE STARTED :- )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…