Rip off?

HondaMan 12:27 05 Jul 07

In this weeks autoexpress was this article.

click here

I have my own views, which are not favourable to the insurers, but before putting them forward would be grateful to hear of other members views, particularly those who have had a car written off by their insurer.

Kate B 12:33 05 Jul 07

I think the final quote in that piece is key: it's up to the motorist to prove that a higher valuation is valid. The ABI said: “You cannot expect an insurer to take the facts into account if you don’t provide them”. Which is bang-on.

I don't know much about valuing cars, but while insurers are obviously going to seek to reduce their exposure, the way describe the valuation process in that piece sounds valid to me.

HondaMan 12:40 05 Jul 07

Kate B. Let's see what else comes forth.

HM

Totally-braindead 13:03 05 Jul 07

I can see their point about not enough info being provided but if the price of a replacement vehicle, same for same, is higher than the sum the insurance company says it is surely they should pay more.
Is this not the point of the insurance in the first place, if your car gets written off you get enough cash to buy a identical replacement. Otherwise whats the point of paying a higher premium for fully comp you might as well insure with 3rd party fire and theft if you don't get the right amount if the worse happens.
If they are going to argue the point would it not be viable to take all the details of the car, condition, milage etc etc and say to the insurance company get me a similar car to that specification because that was the car I had.
Or am I being unrealistic?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now