Right to inheritance?

Tim1964 19:51 29 Nov 07

After reading this
click here

about a woman leaving £10 million pounds to long term friends rather than her children/nephew.

Is there an automatic right to stake a claim on a deceased parent's estate?

They are claiming she was unfit but do they have any rights in this?

I would have thought that as it was her money she could do what she wanted with it.

octal 19:55 29 Nov 07

Em, could we have the correct link please?

laurie53 19:59 29 Nov 07

My uncle left the whole of his estate, some £250K, to someone he used to go for a drink with.

As his only nephew, and sole next of kin, we were pretty close until the last couple of years when he started to drift off a bit.

It was his choice at the end, and I wouldn't have wanted to denigrate his memory by an unseemly and public squabble through the courts.

As long as there's no question of undue pressure or influence they should let matters lie.

Tim1964 20:01 29 Nov 07

click here

Don't know what happened there ?!?!?!?!

Tim1964 20:04 29 Nov 07

laurie53

That was very understanding of you but would it have been different if there were £10,000,000 at stake.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:42 29 Nov 07

You have the right to leave your money to whom ever you wish providing that you are Compos Mentis and not drinking at the fairy fountain with the pixies aqnd My Little Pony. My family tend to take the attitude that if you are not sorted by the age of 25, then you would only waste any inheritance. Personally I intend to spend all my loot before the Grim Reaper calls and stuff scrimping and saving to help family members.

G

Blackhat 23:00 29 Nov 07

On a lighter note this reminds me of a joke told to my by an accountant friend many years ago, so you may have heard it before.

Old man on his death bed calls his priest, solicitor and accountant to his bed side, he says ‘these three envelopes contain my worldly wealth, £10,000 in each; I want them to go with me so place them on my coffin at my burial’

At the burial all three envelopes are dropped on the coffin. At the wake the priest declares he has a confession, ‘I held back a few thousand for the church roof fund, I know he would have approved’ the solicitor added ‘I held back a few thousand for un paid fees’ the accountant said ‘I am disgusted by you both, I enclosed a cheque for the full amount.

laurie53 08:31 30 Nov 07

"would it have been different if there were £10,000,000 at stake."

Quarter of a mill or ten mill either would have bought my disabled wife a power chair and a bungalow to use it in, so I would like to think that the answer would be no.

Quickbeam 09:05 30 Nov 07

No-one has the 'right', it's nice if someone leaves you something. But they also have the right not to...

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:14 30 Nov 07

I cannot believe people's definitions of the word 'rights'. Quickbeam is spot on, you have no rights to any money nor should anyone expect it. I have images of inheritors circlinga nearly lifeless corpse. The only right that anyone has is to stand on their own two feet and make their own way in life. I take the view that shrouds do not have pockets.

'They are claiming she was unfit but do they have any rights in this'...I bet she was 'fit' when they thought that they had a chance of the loot.

G

Quickbeam 09:19 30 Nov 07

In all honesty, I think with ten squillion quid at steak, greed would drive most of us on this point... :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos