Ride on lawn mowers, headlights why ?

Belatucadrus 14:51 19 May 15
Answered

Had to replace the lawntractor mower recently and discovered that all ride ons now come with headlights, why ? They aren't road legal and who the hell mows the lawn in the dark ?

bumpkin 15:10 19 May 15

EU ruling I would expect, it sounds daft enough.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:37 19 May 15
  Belatucadrus 21:28 19 May 15

Mobility scooter insurance is about £60 a year and that’s for use on public areas, golf buggies are even less and that is also an area open to third parties. I suspect that a figure of £100 for home use lawnmowers is rather inflated even if the EU does try to enforce the 1972 directive. What I don't get is how they intend to enforce it, there are thousands of mowers across the EU and there's no registration system. How would they go about finding them and enforcing this daft edict ?

Hey maybe that's what the lights are for so you can mow at night and evade the official EU mower detection satellite.

Later telegraph article on same.

Belatucadrus 12:05 02 Jul 15

Perhaps it's not so dopey, most lawn tractors are made in Italy, so after toasting my bits for the last two days I can see there are areas like the Mediterranean where twilight mowing wouldn't seem so odd after all.

HondaMan 16:31 02 Jul 15

who the hell mows the lawn in the dark

I do, quite often as it happens

bumpkin 16:45 02 Jul 15

HondaMan, so do I need lights on my strimmer should I chose to use at midnight.

bumpkin 16:51 02 Jul 15

Belatacadrus, a car does not require insurance if only used on private property so why would a lawnmower.

bumpkin 16:55 02 Jul 15

If there is going to be compulsory insurance for all things then surely the starting point would be cyclists.

morddwyd 19:45 02 Jul 15

"Mobility scooter insurance is about £60 a year "

Insurance on my mobility scooter is free and is included, up to £6m, in the Public Liability clause of my primal household insurance.

Belatucadrus 20:07 02 Jul 15

why would a lawnmower.

bumpkin You get one guess, it's part of an EU directive from 1972 that states that the term Vehicle refers to :

Any motor vehicle intended for travel on land and propelled by mechanical power, but not running on rails, and any trailer, whether or not coupled;

They apparently need insurance just in case you injure somebody and it's not limited to public highways. It's been pretty universally ignored largely due to a severe lack of cases of people being run over by lawn mower riders on their own lawns. But apparently some Eurocrat at a loose end has been trawling the statute books and is looking to get it enforced. If they succeed then I've no doubt that cars will be similarly affected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017