Riddle of the Sands Film

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 01 Sep 13
Answered

Bingalu (hope your OK not seen you on the forum for awhile?) posted a thread about an Good Read, awhile ago.

The book, Riddle of the Sands, was talked about a lot.

I noticed that the film will be shown on C4 at 1305 on Tuesday for any one interested. Not everyone is a reader.

I like to compare films with the book but is very rare I seen a film that is better, in my opinion, than the book.

Forum Editor 11:51 01 Sep 13
Answer

"The book, Riddle of the Sands, was talked about a lot."

Mostly be me, I think. I said it had been voted one of the best spy novels of the 20th century, although it isn't exactly an easy read.

The film is excellent - one of the rare examples where what appears on the screen is as good as the book. It's worth watching for the look of it alone - it's beautifully shot, and a Jenny Agutter is easy on the eye. If you like sailing-boats and a good spy story it's a must-see.

Chronos the 2nd 12:36 01 Sep 13

Good as this film maybe, it,like virtually every film that is shown on TV these days has been shown countless times previously.

Woolwell 15:47 01 Sep 13

I read the book after the reviews on this site and was disappointed as I did not think that it had aged well. The film could be better and will try to watch it.

Forum Editor 17:08 01 Sep 13

Woolwell

On view of what you said about the book I think you may like the film better.

wee eddie 21:16 01 Sep 13

I think that the book suffers from its rather dated, Rider Haggard style. In fact '39 Steps' suffers from a similar problem.

Both have benefited from the attentions of a modern Script Writer who does not attempt to take the piss out of a period piece.

Aitchbee 22:02 01 Sep 13

I thoroughly enjoyed [ as a schoolboy ] the early 60's TV adaptation of the classic novel, " The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. " and, have since [then] read the 'original' and listened to an audiobook, [ a shortened abridged version, ] read by the actor Tom Baker, and verily, may I say ... the different versions of Daniel Defoe's masterpiece, all compliment each other, I reckon.

... not so sure about 'The Hobbit' on the big screen, though.

michaelw 09:58 05 Sep 13

I started to watch it then dozed off. Sorry, I prefer films like 'Went the Day Well' et al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos