Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Quickbeam 08:34 AM 24 Aug 12

I didn't know council car parks dated back so far...

He wasn't the most pleasant of kings that we had.

Aitchbee 08:47 AM 24 Aug 12

The ancient King is famously remembered to this very day in Cockney rhyming slang parlance.

Quickbeam 08:58 AM 24 Aug 12

As epitomised in the Two Ronnies sketch circa 1976...

NewestRoyWidd1 09:15 AM 24 Aug 12

Living in Leicester I suppose we should be grateful it's not DeMonfort University that are digging up the carpark,given their apparent desire to take over every possible piece of land in that area by building on it.

morddwyd 09:45 AM 24 Aug 12

Another huge commitment for the Met and the army, a Royal funeral at Winsor!

Aitchbee 10:32 AM 24 Aug 12

I wonder if this is what really happened in 1485 at Bosworth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXKukgk034

It's funny that one of the actors in that scene (Tony Robinson...who plays Baldrick) is now the presenter of the popular archaeology TV programme on Channel 4.

I hope they do a 'special' on the 'Royal Dig'.

Condom 16:22 PM 24 Aug 12

I wonder whose DNA they will use to confirm any finds

Aitchbee 17:23 PM 24 Aug 12

They (the archaeologists) might find traces of decayed organic materials like leather shoes or belts or other artefacts...from the 15th century using carbon-dating techniques (to verify the approximate decade/century)...but DNA identification of human remains ( and proving that they belong to King Richard III ) seem impossible [to me].

john bunyan 17:52 PM 24 Aug 12

I think Richard 3rd's brother, Edward 4th, is buried at Windsor, so maybe they could get DNA to compare, from his remains?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 PM 24 Aug 12

They can get DNA from the bone marrow after a couple of thousand years.

Forum Editor 19:10 PM 24 Aug 12

"They can get DNA from the bone marrow after a couple of thousand years."

Mitochondrial DNA has been extracted from the teeth of a man who died at least 9000 years ago. His skeleton was discovered in a cave in Cheddar in 1903, and scientists extracted the DNA 94 years later.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites